Distributive Aspects of Public Expenditure on Housing in Spain
The housing market in Spain has been subject to substantial upheavals over the past two decades. House prices have risen sharply, making it extremely difficult for large sectors of the population to have access to housing. This study has been carried out from the standpoint of the objective of equity that all housing policy should pursue in order to favour access to housing for all citizens. An analysis will be made on whether intervention in Spain's housing market, through the different budget items earmarked to that end, leads to an improvement in the distribution of income. The results obtained in this study imply that the overall implications of direct public expenditure on housing are positive, that they help to reduce inequality, not to a great extent, but, nonetheless, significantly and with a strong progressive element in terms of vertical equity.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REUJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REUJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mills, Edwin S, 1990. "Housing Tenure Choice," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 323-31, December.
- Aaron, Henry & McGuire, Martin, 1970. "Public Goods and Income Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 907-20, November.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Hills, John, 1991. "Distributional effects of housing subsidies in the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 321-352, April.
- Slesnick, Daniel T, 1994. "Consumption, Needs and Inequality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 677-703, August.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjhp:v:5:y:2005:i:3:p:237-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.