Price Dynamics in Central and Eastern European EU Accession Countries
This paper reviews price dynamics in the Central and Eastern European accession countries between 1990 and 2001. The paper starts with an analysis of the short-term and long-term (dis)inflation developments. This is complemented by an appraisal of price level convergence. The major driving forces of price formation in the accession countries are found to be related to price liberalization during the transition to a market economy, to the prospective EU accession, and to the catching-up process (Balassa-Samuelson effect). Finally, the paper draws conclusions about future monetary and exchange rate policy options in the run-up to EU accession and beyond.
Volume (Year): 39 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/MREE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/MREE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M., 1999.
"The end of moderate inflation in three transition economies?,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 21-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Josef Brada & Ali Kutan, 1999. "The End of Moderate Inflation in Three Transition Economies?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 230, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan, 1999. "The end of moderate inflation in three transition economies?," Working Papers 1999-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan, 2002. "The End of Moderate Inflation in Three Transition Economies?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 433, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2004. "Real exchange rate dynamics in transition economies," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-100, March.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gottschalk, Jan & Moore, David, 2001. "Implementing Inflation Targeting Regimes: The Case of Poland," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 24-39, March.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- De Broeck, Mark & Sloek, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cincibuch, Martin & Vávra, David, 2000. "Towards the EMU: A Need For Exchange Rate Flexibility?," Transition Economics Series 17, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-247, July-Sept.
- Fritz Breuss, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of EU Enlargement on Old and New Members," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 74(11), pages 655-666, November.
- Fritz Breuss, "undated". "Macroeconomic Effects of EU Enlargement for Old and New Members," WIFO Working Papers 143, WIFO.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1994. "Measuring Core Inflation," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy, pages 195-219 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "Measuring Core Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barnabás Ferenczi & Sándor Valkovszky & János Vincze, 2000. "What are Consumer Price Statistics Good for?," MNB Working Papers 2000/5, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Diba, Behzad & Fudey, Gwen, 1996. "Trends in European Productivity and Real Exchange Rates: Implications for the Maastricht Convergence Criteria and for Inflation Targets after EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wilhelm Kohler & Chrisran Keuschnigg, 2001. "An Incumbent Country View on Eastern Enlargement of the EU. Part II: The Austrian Case," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 159-185, June.
- Wilhelm Kohler & Christian Keuschnigg, 2000. "An incumbent country view on eastern enlargement of the EU Part II: The Austrian case," Economics working papers 2000-26, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Laszlo Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 2001. "Economic Transformation and Real Exchange Rates in the 2000s: The Balassa-Samuelson Connection," ECE Discussion Papers Series 2001_1, UNECE. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:emfitr:v:39:y:2003:i:3:p:42-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.