Efficiency in the Manufacturing Industry of Selected Provinces in Turkey : A Stochastic Frontier Analysis
This paper measures technical efficiency and technical and total factor productivity changes by estimating a translog stochastic frontier production function for the Turkish manufacturing industry in selected provinces. This method incorporates technical change and has time-varying technical efficiency effects. The stochastic frontier function was estimated by using panel data based on eighteen selected provinces of Turkey for the 1990-98 period. The performance of the public and private sector manufacturing industries in these provinces was also measured separately. The probable reasons of different performances of provinces in terms of efficiency are discussed. In this context, the effects of average firm size, the share of regional production, and the time period were considered.
Volume (Year): 39 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/MREE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/MREE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Bhattacharyya, Arunava, 1992. "Price Distortions and Resource-Use Efficiency in Indian Agriculture: A Restricted Profit Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 231-239, May.
- Krueger, Anne O. & Tuncer, Baran, 1982. "Growth of factor productivity in Turkish manufacturing industries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 307-325, December.
- Mercedes Gumbau Albert, 1998. "Regional technical efficiency: a stochastic frontier approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(11), pages 723-726.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Temel, Tugrul T. & Tansel, Aysit & Albersen, P.J., 1999.
"Convergence and Spatial Patterns in Labor Productivity: Nonparametric Estimations for Turkey,"
Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy,
Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 29(1).
- Tugrul Temel & Aysit Tansel & Peter J. Albersen, 1999. "Convergence and Spatial Patterns in Labor Productivity: Nonparametric Estimations for Turkey," Working Papers 9931, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 1999.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Verughese Jacob & Subhash Sharma & Richard Grabowski, 1997. "Capital stock estimates for major sectors and disaggregated manufacturing in selected OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 563-579.
- Bannister, Geoffrey J. & Stolp, Chandler, 1995. "Regional concentration and efficiency in Mexican manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 672-690, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-286, July.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1982. "Total Factor Productivity Growth, Technological Progress and Technical Efficiency Change: Dimensions of Productivity Change in Yugoslavia, 1965-78," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 920-936, December.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-1248, September.
- Mustafa Dinc & Kingsley E. Haynes, 1999. "Sources of regional inefficiency An integrated shift-share, data envelopment analysis and input-output approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 33(4), pages 469-489.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Erol Taymaz & Gülin Saatci, 1997. "Technical Change and Efficiency in Turkish Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 461-475, November.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Nigel Driffield & Max Munday, 2001. "Foreign Manufacturing, Regional Agglomeration and Technical Efficiency in UK Industries: A Stochastic Production Frontier Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 391-399. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)