Project selection and equivalent CAPM-based investment criteria
This article shows that the Capital Asset Pricing Model-based capital budgeting criteria proposed by Tuttle and Litzenberger (1968), Mossin (1969), Hamada (1969), Stapleton (1971), Rubinstein (1973), Bierman and Hass (1973) and Bogue and Roll (1974) are equivalent. They all state that a project is profitable if its internal rate of return is greater than the risk-adjusted cost of capital, where the latter is given by the sum of the risk-free rate and a risk-premium which is a function of the systematic risk of the project, itself a function of the project cost.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007.
"Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage,"
Applied Financial Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," MPRA Paper 14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mossin, Jan, 1969. "Security Pricing and Investment Criteria in Competitive Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 749-756, December.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1974. "Capital Budgeting under Uncertainty: A Reformation: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1583-1584, December.
- Bierman, Harold, Jr & Hass, Jerome E, 1973. "Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty: A Reformulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 119-129, March.
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Budd, Alan P., 1970. "Corporate Investment Criteria and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(4-5), pages 395-419, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)