Testing for linear and nonlinear Granger Causality in the stock price--volume relation: Turkish banking firms’ evidence
In this study, the causality test, proposed by Peguin-Feissolle and Terasvirta (1999), based on a Taylor expansion of the nonlinear model, is used to examine the dynamic relationship between daily Turkish banking sector stock price and trading volume. Evidence is found of significant linear and nonlinear causality between these two series.
Volume (Year): 2 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Silvapulle, Param & Choi, Jong-Seo, 1999. "Testing for linear and nonlinear granger causality in the stock price-volume relation: Korean evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 59-76.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1995. "Can Speculative Trading Explain the Volume-Volatility Relation?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 379-96, October.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Bank security prices and market discipline," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec20.
- G. William Schwert, 1988.
"Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?,"
NBER Working Papers
2798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. " Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1115-53, December.
- Peguin-Feissolle, A. & Terasvirta, T., 1999.
"A General Framework for Testing the Granger Noncausality Hypothesis,"
99a42, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Péguin-Feissolle, Anne & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1999. "A general framework for testing the Granger noncausality hypothesis," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 343, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfelt:v:2:y:2006:i:3:p:165-171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.