Consumption, investment and financial intermediation in a Ramsey model
The productivity of capital and the discount rate for future consumption are more important for economic growth than the cost of financial intermediation. Using analytical and numerical illustrations from a version of the Ramsey model this study illustrates how parameters of preferences in consumption, productivity and depreciation rates of capital and costs of financial intermediation interact and determine the levels of output, consumption, investment and capital stock in a growing economy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Ian Preston, 1997.
"Consumption, inequality and income uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Cheolbeom Park & Pei Fang Lim, 2004. "Excess sensitivity of consumption, liquidity constraints, and mandatory saving," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 771-774.
- Costas Meghir, 2004.
"A retrospective on Friedman's theory of permanent income,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Costas Meghir, 2004. "A Retrospective on Friedman's Theory of Permanent Income," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages F293-F306, 06.
- Faruk Gul & Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 2004.
"Self-Control and the Theory of Consumption,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 119-158, 01.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfelt:v:1:y:2005:i:6:p:329-333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.