Internal corporate governance mechanisms and corporate performance: evidence for UK firms
This study investigates the relationship between internal corporate governance mechanisms and corporate performance for a large sample of UK firms. The aim is to extend the existing literature on firm performance by empirically investigating the role of debt-maturity structure of firms and managerial compensation in affecting corporate performance. Also, the study attempts to provide new insights on the subject by considering potential interaction effects between managerial ownership and other governance mechanisms available to firms. The results support the existence of a non-linear impact of both managerial ownership and managerial compensation on company performance. Debt-maturity structure is also found to be significantly related to performance. Finally, there is strong evidence that managerial ownership and managerial compensation work as substitute mechanisms in mitigating agency problems and, therefore, generating good performance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chrisostomos Florackis, 2008. "Agency costs and corporate governance mechanisms: evidence for UK firms," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 37-59, January.
- Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2004. "Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2103-2134, September.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 1999. "Strong Managers and Passive Institutional Investors in the UK," Working Papers 1999.21, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfelt:v:1:y:2005:i:4:p:211-216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.