Sunk Costs Of Consumer Search: Economic Rationality Of Satisficing Decision
The paper argues that sunk costs' sensitivity can lead to the optimal consumption-leisure choice underprice dispersion. The increase in quantity to be purchased with the extension of the time horizon of the consumption-leisure choice equalizes marginal costs of search with its marginal benefits. The implicit optimal choice results in the explicit satisficing decision. The transformation of cognitive mechanism of discouragement into satisficing happens only in the "common model" of consumer behavior. The paper argues that the cognitive mechanism of aspiration takes place when consumers try to get marginal savings on purchase greater than the wage rate and, therefore, they follow the "leisure model" of behavior where both the marginal utility of labor income and the marginal utility of consumption become negative.
Volume (Year): V (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.asers.eu/journals/tpref.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergey Malakhov, 2014.
"Satisficing Decision Procedure and Optimal Consumption-Leisure Choice,"
International Journal of Social Science Research,
Macrothink Institute, vol. 2(2), pages 138-151, September.
- Malakhov, Sergey, 2012. "Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice," MPRA Paper 38964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2005.
"Lifecycle Prices and Production,"
NBER Working Papers
11601, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kogut, Carl A., 1990. "Consumer search behavior and sunk costs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 381-392, December.
- Malakhov, Sergey, 2013.
"Money flexibility and optimal consumption-leisure choice under price dispersion,"
45197, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergey MALAKHOV, 2013. "Money Flexibility And Optimal Consumption-Leisure Choice Under Price Dispersion," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 77-88, July.
- S. Malakhov., 2003. "Transaction Costs, Economic Growth and Labor Supply," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 9.
- Stiglitz, J E, 1979. "Equilibrium in Product Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 339-345, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:srs:tpref1:5:v:5:y:2014:i:1:p:56-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Ungureanu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.