The Role of Central Banks in Sustaining Economic Recovery and in Achieving Financial Stability
Whenever a financial crisis occurs, threatening a possible financial meltdown, central banks have to be at the forefront in combating, neutralizing the crisis and restoring financial stability and economic growth. In this regard, the present sub-prime crisis which originated from the US highlights a few key issues for the SEACEN group of central banks. This paper reviews the policy responses to the crisis which include exit policy strategies from stimulus monetary packages. To strengthen the soundness of the financial system going forward, the paper also highlights counter-cyclical and macro-prudential regulations that central banks need to actively look into.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
- Beverly Hirtle & Til Schuermann & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2009. "Macroprudential supervision of financial institutions: lessons from the SCAP," Staff Reports 409, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Yilmaz Akyuz, 2008. "The Current Global Financial Turmoil and Asian Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008/15, Turkish Economic Association.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2006.
"Money in a Theory of Banking,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 30-53, March.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Money in a Theory of Banking," NBER Working Papers 10070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio Borio & Ilhyock Shim, 2007. "What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?," BIS Working Papers 242, Bank for International Settlements.
- Erlend Nier, 2009. "Financial Stability Frameworks and the Role of Central Banks; Lessons From the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/70, International Monetary Fund.
- Yılmaz AKYÜZ, 2008. "The current global financial turmoil and Asian developing countries," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 23(273), pages 7-49. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)