Innovation And Performance Of Italian Multinational Enterprises Of The "Fourth Capitalism"
The aim of the contribution is to focus on the innovation of Italian medium and medium -large multinationals who represent the "fourth capitalism" and also to evaluate their performance. The enterprises of "fourth capitalism" are the set of medium and medium-large enterprises who seem to be stronger on foreign markets, either through exports or through foreign direct investment. The paper uses the data set from Mediobanca Research Unit to provide a descriptive analysis of the performance of Italian multinational enterprises of the "fourth capitalism", showing the complex approach to the internationalization of these enterprises, where innovation plays a key role. Flexibility and specialization in the production are also important elements that drive the decision to invest and produce abroad for these enterprises. The commercial dimension also plays a key role for the firms of the "fourth capitalism", as it leads to the direct control of foreign markets. The study points out that one of the strategic objectives of Italian multinationals of the "fourth capitalism" is their strong customer focus and organizational effort to provide their services to the customers, which require substantial investment in immaterial assets. Finally, the work highlights some external constraints that penalize the Italian multinational enterprises of the "fourth capitalism", as the high cost of bureaucracy, excessive and unfair taxation lack of support to internationalization by public institutions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2008. "Investing in Knowledge: Knowledge, Human Capital and Institutions for the Long Run Growth," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn0804, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(3), pages 589-630, September.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," NBER Working Papers 12091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Trade, FDI and the Organization of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, June.
- Hagedoorn, John, 1995. "Strategic technology partnering during the 1980s: Trends, networks and corporate patterns in non-core technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 207-231, March.
- Daniele Schilirò & Maria Musca, 2010. "Le Medie Imprese Multinazionali del Quarto Capitalismo," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn1002, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Matteo Bugamelli & Luigi Infante, 2003. "Sunk Costs of Exports," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 469, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Colli Andrea, 2005. "Il quarto capitalismo," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 219-236.
- Francesca De Girolamo & Lucia Piscitello, 2010. "Il successo internazionale delle PMI italiane: quali competenze distintive?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 189-200.
- James R. Tybout, 2001. "Plant- and Firm-Level Evidence on "New" Trade Theories," NBER Working Papers 8418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:srs:jarm12:3:v:2:y:2011:i:2:p:89-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andy Stefanescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.