Understanding the dynamics behind bank branch service quality in Portugal: pursuing a holistic view using fuzzy cognitive mapping
Abstract Using fuzzy cognitive mapping, this study aims to create a holistic framework whereby the determinants of bank branch service quality and their cause-and-effect relationships can be identified and dynamically analyzed. The methodology is applied using a group of experts from the banking industry in Portugal. Our results not only indicate the applicability and usefulness of the proposed approach, but identify human resource characteristics (which include collaborators’ personal and professional training) and management team technical skills as particularly relevant driving forces of bank branch service quality. The proposal holds great potential for the operational planning and improvement of bank branch service quality, which is a prime concern for bank administrators, bank branch collaborators, and society at large. Advantages and shortcomings of the framework are also reported.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2016)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.panpacificbusiness.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business/journal/11628|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Corrêa, Émerson C. & De Corte, Jean-Marie & Vansnick, Jean-Claude, 2002. "Facilitating bid evaluation in public call for tenders: a socio-technical approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 227-242, June.
- Lee, Peter K.C. & Cheng, T.C. Edwin & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An empirical study of transformational leadership, team performance and service quality in retail banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 690-701, December.
- Camanho, A. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2005. "Cost efficiency measurement with price uncertainty: a DEA application to bank branch assessments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 432-446, March.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1997. "Service quality and operating efficiency synergies for management control in the provision of financial services: Evidence from Greek bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 300-313, April.
- Alexandre Momparler & Carlos Lassala & Domingo Ribeiro, 2013. "Efficiency in banking services: a comparative analysis of Internet-primary and branching banks in the US," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 7(4), pages 641-663, December.
- Fernando A. F Ferreira & Ronald W. Spahr & SÃ©rgio P. Santos & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2012.
"A multiple criteria framework to evaluate bank branch potential attractiveness,"
International Journal of Strategic Property Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 254-276, February.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Ronald W. Spahr & Sérgio P. Santos & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "A Multiple Criteria Framework to Evaluate Bank Branch Potential Attractiveness," Working Papers w201010, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Oliveira, Pedro & von Hippel, Eric, 2011. "Users as service innovators: The case of banking services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 806-818, July.
- Marlene N M Filipe & Fernando A F Ferreira & Sérgio P Santos, 2015. "A multiple criteria information system for pedagogical evaluation and professional development of teachers," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 66(11), pages 1769-1782, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:svcbiz:v:10:y:2016:i:3:d:10.1007_s11628-015-0278-x. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.