How China’s current energy pricing mechanisms will impact its marginal carbon abatement costs?
Abstract Economic and social costs and benefits are critical factors affecting greenhouse gas abatement activities. Recognizing that energy prices are one of the most important factors influencing abatement costs, this study improved the basic China Energy and Environmental Policy Analysis (CEEPA) model by introducing a current energy pricing mechanism for China. The improved model was applied to generate marginal abatement cost (MAC) curves for China including the current energy pricing mechanism and to analyze MACs for the whole country and main abatement sectors in China under different energy pricing mechanisms. The results show that China MACs are sensitive to pricing mechanisms for electricity and refined oil. Ignoring the current regulation of these prices will lead to MAC underestimation, and price liberalization of these two energy sources could lead to a decrease in China MACs. Under a 50 % emission reduction target, if the electricity price regulation is ignored, the China MAC is underestimated by almost 16 %. Energy pricing reforms will lead to variations in sectoral abatement costs and overall abatement potential, and these impacts are projected to be large in the electricity sector. Under a 50 % reduction target, if the electricity price regulation is liberalized, MAC for the electricity sector nearly will decrease 50 %.
Volume (Year): 21 (2016)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11027|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Springer, Urs, 2003. "International diversification of investments in climate change mitigation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 181-193, August.
- Vogt-Schilb, Adrien & Hallegatte, Stéphane, 2014.
"Marginal abatement cost curves and the optimal timing of mitigation measures,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 645-653.
- Adrien Vogt-Schilb & Stéphane Hallegatte, 2013. "Marginal Abatement Cost Curves and the Optimal Timing of Mitigation Measures," Working Papers 2013.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Adrien Vogt-Schilb & Stéphane Hallegatte, 2014. "Marginal abatement cost curves and the optimal timing of mitigation measures," Post-Print hal-00916328, HAL.
- Criqui, Patrick & Mima, Silvana & Viguier, Laurent, 1999. "Marginal abatement costs of CO2 emission reductions, geographical flexibility and concrete ceilings: an assessment using the POLES model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 585-601, October.
- Solveig Glomsrød & Taoyuan Wei & Knut Alfsen, 2013. "Pledges for climate mitigation: the effects of the Copenhagen accord on CO 2 emissions and mitigation costs," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 18(5), pages 619-636, June.
- Lin, Boqiang & Jiang, Zhujun, 2011. "Estimates of energy subsidies in China and impact of energy subsidy reform," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 273-283, March.
- Yuan, Chaoqing & Liu, Sifeng & Wu, Junlong, 2010. "The relationship among energy prices and energy consumption in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 197-207, January.
- Zhang, Zhong Xiang, 1998. "Macroeconomic Effects of CO2 Emission Limits: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis for China," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 213-250, April.
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 1996. "Macroeconomic Effects of CO2 Emission Limits: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis for China," Mansholt Working Papers 01-96, Wageningen University, Mansholt Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Stankeviciute, Loreta & Kitous, Alban & Criqui, Patrick, 2008. "The fundamentals of the future international emissions trading system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4272-4286, November.
- Loreta Stankeviciute & Alban Kitous & Patrick Criqui, 2008. "The fundamentals of the future international emissions trading system," Post-Print halshs-00172290, HAL.
- Liang, Qiao-Mei & Fan, Ying & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2007. "Carbon taxation policy in China: How to protect energy- and trade-intensive sectors?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 311-333.
- Liang, Qiao-Mei & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2012. "Distributional impacts of taxing carbon in China: Results from the CEEPA model," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 545-551.
- Storm, Servaas, 1994. "The macroeconomic impact of agricultural policy: A CGE analysis for India," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-95, February.
- Glomsrod, Solveig & Taoyuan, Wei, 2005. "Coal cleaning: a viable strategy for reduced carbon emissions and improved environment in China?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 525-542, March.
- Solveig Glomsrød & Wei Taoyuan, 2003. "Coal cleaning: A viable strategy for reduced carbon emissions and improved environment in China?," Discussion Papers 356, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Edwards, T. Huw. & Hutton, John P., 2001. "Allocation of carbon permits within a country: a general equilibrium analysis of the United Kingdom," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-386, July.
- Bréchet, Thierry & Jouvet, Pierre-André, 2008. "Environmental innovation and the cost of pollution abatement revisited," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 262-265, April.
- BRECHET, Thierry & JOUVET, Pierre-André, "undated". "Environmental innovation and the cost of pollution abatement revisited," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wang, Ke & Wang, Can & Chen, Jining, 2009. "Analysis of the economic impact of different Chinese climate policy options based on a CGE model incorporating endogenous technological change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2930-2940, August.
- Kuik, Onno & Brander, Luke & Tol, Richard S.J., 2009. "Marginal abatement costs of greenhouse gas emissions: A meta-analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1395-1403, April.
- Qiao-Mei Liang & Yun-Fei Yao & Lu-Tao Zhao & Ce Wang & Rui-Guang Yang & Yi-Ming Wei, 2013. "Platform for China Energy & Environmental Policy Analysis: A general design and its application," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 43, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Klepper, Gernot & Peterson, Sonja, 2006. "Marginal abatement cost curves in general equilibrium: The influence of world energy prices," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2004. "Marginal Abatement Cost Curves in General Equilibrium: The Influence of World Energy Prices," Working Papers 2004.136, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Klepper, Gernot & Peterson, Sonja, 2006. "Marginal abatement cost curves in general equilibrium: The influence of world energy prices," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3775, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Chen, Wenying, 2005. "The costs of mitigating carbon emissions in China: findings from China MARKAL-MACRO modeling," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 885-896, May.
- Sancho, Ferran, 2010. "Double dividend effectiveness of energy tax policies and the elasticity of substitution: A CGE appraisal," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2927-2933, June.
- Dedinec, Aleksandar & Markovska, Natasa & Taseska, Verica & Duic, Neven & Kanevce, Gligor, 2013. "Assessment of climate change mitigation potential of the Macedonian transport sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 177-187.
- He, Yongxiu & Liu, Yangyang & Wang, Jianhui & Xia, Tian & Zhao, Yushan, 2014. "Low-carbon-oriented dynamic optimization of residential energy pricing in China," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 610-623.
- Cho, G.L. & Kim, Hyo-Sun & Kim, Y.D., 2010. "Allocation and banking in Korean permits trading," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 36-46, March.
- Andreas Löschel & Zhong Zhang, 2002. "The economic and environmental implications of the US repudiation of the kyoto protocol and the subsequent deals in Bonn and Marrakech," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(4), pages 711-746, December.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang & Löschel, Andreas, 2002. "The Economic and Environmental Implications of the US Repudiation of the Kyoto Protocol and the Subsequent Deals in Bonn and Marrakech," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Qiao-Mei Liang & Qian Wang & Yi-Ming Wei, 2013. "Assessing the Distributional Impacts of Carbon Tax among Households across Different Income Groups: The Case of China," Energy & Environment, , vol. 24(7-8), pages 1323-1346, December.
- Levihn, F. & Nuur, C. & Laestadius, S., 2014. "Marginal abatement cost curves and abatement strategies: Taking option interdependency and investments unrelated to climate change into account," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 336-344.
- Lin, Boqiang & Liu, Xia, 2013. "Reform of refined oil product pricing mechanism and energy rebound effect for passenger transportation in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 329-337.
- Vijay, Samudra & DeCarolis, Joseph F. & Srivastava, Ravi K., 2010. "A bottom-up method to develop pollution abatement cost curves for coal-fired utility boilers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2255-2261, May.
- Baker, Erin & Clarke, Leon & Shittu, Ekundayo, 2008. "Technical change and the marginal cost of abatement," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 2799-2816, November.
- Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1977. "Equal yield tax alternatives : General equillibrium computational techniques," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 211-224, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:masfgc:v:21:y:2016:i:6:d:10.1007_s11027-014-9623-y. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.