Comparing the Efficiency of Italian Public and Private Universities (2007–2011): An Empirical Analysis
Abstract The aim of this study is to analyse the technical efficiency of Italian public and private universities. We therefore conduct a Data Envelopment Analysis on Italian universities in the years 2007–2011, using a novel integrated dataset from the Statistical Office of the Ministry of Education and from the National Agency for Evaluation. The inputs of the model are the total number of students and faculty staff, while the outputs are the total number of graduates and the revenues from scientific research. The results show differences related to the type of universities (private universities are relatively more efficient than public ones) and geographical area (Northern universities are relatively more efficient than those of the Centre and South). The Malmquist index, used for a comparison of different years, shows that the overall efficiency of Italian universities has increased in the period examined, particularly thanks to pure efficiency.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2016)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona (Italy)
Web page: http://www.siecon.org/online/en/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/40797|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Monaco, Luisa, 2011. "Measuring Italian university efficiency: a non-parametric approach," MPRA Paper 37949, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 29 Feb 2012.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Carsten Pohl, 2012. "Comparing German and Italian Public Universities: Convergence or Divergence in the Higher Education Landscape?," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33, pages 71-85, March.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013.
"Dynamics of productivity in higher education: cross-european evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 67-82, August.
- Aleksandra PARTEKA & Joanna WOLSZCZAK-DERLACZ, 2011. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education. Cross-European evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Departmental Working Papers 2011-10, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999. "Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Dino Rizzi, 2001. "L'efficienza dei dipartimenti dell'Università Ca' Foscari di Venezia via DEA e DFA," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(3).
- Tommaso Agasisti & Geraint Johnes, 2009. "Beyond frontiers: comparing the efficiency of higher education decision-making units across more than one country," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 59-79.
- Cohn, Elchanan & Rhine, Sherrie L W & Santos, Maria C, 1989. "Institutions of Higher Education as Multi-product Firms: Economies of Scale and Scope," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 284-290, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:italej:v:2:y:2016:i:1:d:10.1007_s40797-015-0022-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.