In the insurance business risky investments are dangerous: the case of negative risk sums
Abstract We investigate models with negative risk sums when the company invests its reserve into a risky asset whose price follows a geometric Brownian motion. Our main result is an exact asymptotic of the ruin probabilities for the case of exponentially distributed benefits. As in the case of non-life insurance with exponential claims, the ruin probabilities are either decreasing with a rate given by a power function (the case of small volatility) or equal to one identically (the case of large volatility). The result allows us to quantify the share of reserve to invest into such a risky asset to avoid a catastrophic outcome, namely the ruin with probability one. We address also the question of smoothness of the ruin probabilities as a function of the initial reserve for generally distributed jumps.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2016)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/mathematics/quantitative+finance/journal/780/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nyrhinen, Harri, 1999. "On the ruin probabilities in a general economic environment," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 319-330, October.
- Kalashnikov, Vladimir & Norberg, Ragnar, 2002. "Power tailed ruin probabilities in the presence of risky investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 211-228, April.
- Nyrhinen, Harri, 2001. "Finite and infinite time ruin probabilities in a stochastic economic environment," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 265-285, April.
- repec:spr:compst:v:67:y:2008:i:1:p:21-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Guojing & Wu, Rong, 2001. "Distributions for the risk process with a stochastic return on investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 329-341, October.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Masahiko Egami, 2008.
"Optimizing venture capital investments in a jump diffusion model,"
Mathematical Methods of Operations Research,
Springer;Gesellschaft für Operations Research (GOR);Nederlands Genootschap voor Besliskunde (NGB), vol. 67(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Masahiko Egami, 2007. "Optimizing Venture Capital Investments in a Jump Diffusion Model," Papers math/0703823, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2007.
- Henrik Hult & Filip Lindskog, 2011. "Ruin probabilities under general investments and heavy-tailed claims," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 243-265, June.
- Pergamenshchikov, Serguei & Zeitouny, Omar, 2006. "Ruin probability in the presence of risky investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 267-278, February.
- Paulsen, Jostein, 1998. "Sharp conditions for certain ruin in a risk process with stochastic return on investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 135-148, June.
- Norberg, Ragnar, 1999. "Ruin problems with assets and liabilities of diffusion type," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 255-269, June.
- Grandits, Peter, 2004. "A Karamata-type theorem and ruin probabilities for an insurer investing proportionally in the stock market," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 297-305, April.
- Harrison, J. Michael, 1977. "Ruin problems with compounding assets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 67-79, February.
- Albrecher, Hansjörg & Badescu, Andrei & Landriault, David, 2008. "On the dual risk model with tax payments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1086-1094, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:finsto:v:20:y:2016:i:2:d:10.1007_s00780-016-0292-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.