Exit Discrimination in Major League Baseball: 1990–2004
Using a panel study of annual Major League Baseball (MLB) data (1990–2004), we do not find evidence that race affects the career duration of black hitters. Our findings are inconsistent with results from a study by Jiobu (1988) who used 1971–1985 data that found that race decreased career length, ceteris paribus, for black hitters but not Hispanics. The difference in results could be due to our use of seasonal-variant data; Jiobu used only career statistics in his research. Another interpretation of the differing results is that market competition overcame discrimination. This could be interpreted as an affirmation of Becker’s theoretical work on discrimination. Our results for pitchers also do not indicate any exit discrimination against the minority groups.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.southerneconomic.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Bernt Bratsberg & Dek Terrell, 1998. "Experience, Tenure, and Wage Growth of Young Black and White Men," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(3), pages 658-682.
- Peter A. Groothuis & J. Richard Hill, 2002. "Exit Discrimination in the NBA: A Duration Analysis of Career Length Using Flow and Stock Samples," Working Papers 02-11, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Kanazawa, Mark T & Funk, Jonas P, 2001. "Racial Discrimination in Professional Basketball: Evidence from Nielsen Ratings," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(4), pages 599-608, October.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in Professional Sports: A Survey of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- Örn B. Bodvarsson & Raymond T. Brastow, 1999. "A Test Of Employer Discrimination In The Nba," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(2), pages 243-255, 04.
- Kahn, Lawrence M & Sherer, Peter D, 1988. "Racial Differences in Professional Basketball Players' Compensation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 40-61, January.
- Mark C. Berger & Dan A. Black, 1998.
"The Duration Of Medicaid Spells: An Analysis Using Flow And Stock Samples,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 667-675, November.
- Mark C. Berger & Dan A. Black, 1996. "The Duration of Medicaid Spells: An Analysis Using Flow and Stock Samples," HEW 9604003, EconWPA.
- Hoang, Ha & Rascher, Dan, 1999. "The NBA, Exit Discrimination, and Career Earnings," MPRA Paper 3542, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donald J. Cymrot, 1985. "Does Competition Lessen Discrimination? Some Evidence," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(4), pages 605-612.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Smith, James P & Welch, Finis R, 1989. "Black Economic Progress after Myrdal," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(2), pages 519-564, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sej:ancoec:v:75:2:y:2008:p:574-590. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.