Urban sprawl and the emergence of food deserts in the USA
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dutko, Paula & Ver Ploeg, Michele & Farrigan, Tracey, 2012. "Characteristics and Influential Factors of Food Deserts," Economic Research Report 262229, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Andrew J. Plantinga & Stephanie Bernell, 2007. "The Association Between Urban Sprawl And Obesity: Is It A Two‐Way Street?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(5), pages 857-879, December.
- Mouhcine Guettabi & Abdul Munasib, 2014. "Urban Sprawl, Obesogenic Environment, And Child Weight," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 378-401, June.
- Berg, Nathan & Murdoch, James, 2008. "Access to grocery stores in Dallas," MPRA Paper 26585, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deliana Kostova, 2011. "Can the Built Environment Reduce Obesity? The Impact of Residential Sprawl and Neighborhood Parks on Obesity and Physical Activity," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan;Eastern Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 390-402.
- Rosen, Allison B. & Stewart, Susan T. & Cutler, David M., 2009. "Forecasting the Effects of Obesity and Smoking on U.S. Life Expectancy," Scholarly Articles 5344184, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Goodarz Danaei & Eric L Ding & Dariush Mozaffarian & Ben Taylor & Jürgen Rehm & Christopher J L Murray & Majid Ezzati, 2009. "The Preventable Causes of Death in the United States: Comparative Risk Assessment of Dietary, Lifestyle, and Metabolic Risk Factors," PLOS Medicine, Public Library of Science, vol. 6(4), pages 1-23, April.
- Gibson, D.M., 2011. "The neighborhood food environment and adult weight status: Estimates from longitudinal data," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 101(1), pages 71-78.
- Dutko, Paula & Ver Ploeg, Michele & Farrigan, Tracey L., 2012. "Retail Wastelands: Characteristics and Influential Factors of Food Deserts," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium 123201, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Deja Hendrickson & Chery Smith & Nicole Eikenberry, 2006. "Fruit and vegetable access in four low-income food deserts communities in Minnesota," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 23(3), pages 371-383, October.
- Cannuscio, Carolyn C. & Hillier, Amy & Karpyn, Allison & Glanz, Karen, 2014. "The social dynamics of healthy food shopping and store choice in an urban environment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 122(C), pages 13-20.
- Kim, Daniel & Subramanian, S.V. & Gortmaker, Steven L. & Kawachi, Ichiro, 2006. "US state- and county-level social capital in relation to obesity and physical inactivity: A multilevel, multivariable analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 1045-1059, August.
- Morland, K. & Wing, S. & Roux, A.D., 2002. "The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents' diets: The atherosclerosis risk in communities study," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 92(11), pages 1761-1767.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregory S. Macfarlane & Emma Stucki & Alisha H. Redelfs & Lori Andersen Spruance, 2022. "Beyond Proximity: Utility-Based Access from Location-Based Services Data," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(19), pages 1-16, September.
- Sangeetha Madhavan & Shelley Clark & Sara Schmidt, 2021. "Single mothers coping with food insecurity in a Nairobi slum," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 58(13), pages 2703-2720, October.
- Hui Luan & Daniel Fuller, 2022. "Urban form in Canada at a small-area level: Quantifying â€œcompactnessâ€ and â€œsprawlâ€ with bayesian multivariate spatial factor analysis," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 49(4), pages 1300-1313, May.
- Vincent Smets & Jeroen Cant & Stefanie Vandevijvere, 2022. "The Changing Landscape of Food Deserts and Swamps over More than a Decade in Flanders, Belgium," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(21), pages 1-19, October.
- Różycka-Czas Renata & Czesak Barbara & Staszel Andrzej, 2021. "Which Polish Cities Sprawl the Most," Land, MDPI, vol. 10(12), pages 1-18, November.
- Jessica M. Phelan & Richard R. Rosenkranz & Connor J. Phelan & Sara K. Rosenkranz, 2023. "Holistic Framework to Contextualize Dietary Quality Assessment: A Critical Review," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 20(5), pages 1-13, February.
- Carlos Bueno-Suárez & Daniel Coq-Huelva, 2020. "Sustaining What Is Unsustainable: A Review of Urban Sprawl and Urban Socio-Environmental Policies in North America and Western Europe," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(11), pages 1-36, May.
- Yuval Arbel & Chaim Fialkoff & Amichai Kerner & Miryam Kerner, 2022. "Do population density, socio-economic ranking and Gini Index of cities influence infection rates from coronavirus? Israel as a case study," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 68(1), pages 181-206, February.
- Lisa-Marie Hemerijckx & Katarzyna Janusz & Sam Emelen & Samuel Tumwesigye & Jac Davis & Shuaib Lwasa & Anton Rompaey, 2022. "Food accessibility of different socioeconomic groups in sub-Saharan African cities: a mixed-method analysis in Kampala, Uganda," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 14(3), pages 677-694, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Cappelli, Federica & Guastella, Gianni & Pareglio, Stefano, 2020.
"Institutional Fragmentation and Urbanisation in the EU Cities,"
FACTS: Firms And Cities Towards Sustainability
305212, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) > FACTS: Firms And Cities Towards Sustainability.
- Federica Cappelli & Gianni Guastella & Stefano Pareglio, 2020. "Institutional Fragmentation and Urbanisation in the EU Cities," Working Papers 2020.08, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Reid Ewing & Shima Hamidi & James B Grace, 2016. "Urban sprawl as a risk factor in motor vehicle crashes," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 53(2), pages 247-266, February.
- Wu, Qi & Saitone, Tina L. & Sexton, Richard J., 2017. "Food Access, Food Deserts, and the Women, Infants, and Children Program," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 42(3), September.
- Meilin Ma & Tina L. Saitone & Richard J. Volpe & Richard J. Sexton & Michelle Saksena, 2019. "Market Concentration, Market Shares, and Retail Food Prices: Evidence from the U.S. Women, Infants, and Children Program," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 41(3), pages 542-562, September.
- Berning, Joshua P., 2012. "Access to Local Agriculture and Weight Outcomes," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 57-71, April.
- Meilin Ma & Tina L Saitone & Richard J Volpe & Richard J Sexton & Michelle Saksena & Craig GundersenEditor, 2019.
"Market Concentration, Market Shares, and Retail Food Prices: Evidence from the U.S. Women, Infants, and Children Program,"
Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 41(3), pages 542-562.
- Ma, Meilin & Saitone, Tina L. & Volpe, Richard J. & Sexton, Richard J. & Saksena, Michelle, 2018. "Market Concentration, Market Shares, and Retail Food Prices: Evidence from the U.S. Women, Infants, and Children Program," 2018 Annual Meeting, August 5-7, Washington, D.C. 274205, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jackson, Dylan B. & Newsome, Jamie & Vaughn, Michael G. & Johnson, Kecia R., 2018. "Considering the role of food insecurity in low self-control and early delinquency," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 127-139.
- Holt, Stephen B & Vinopal, Katie M., 2021. "It's About Time: Examining Inequality in the Time Cost of Waiting," SocArXiv jbk3x, Center for Open Science.
- Marilyn Sitaker & Jane Kolodinsky & Weiwei Wang & Lisa C. Chase & Julia Van Soelen Kim & Diane Smith & Hans Estrin & Zoe Van Vlaanderen & Lauren Greco, 2020. "Evaluation of Farm Fresh Food Boxes: A Hybrid Alternative Food Network Market Innovation," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(24), pages 1-25, December.
- Esteve G. Giraud & Sara El-Sayed & Adenike Opejin, 2021. "Gardening for Food Well-Being in the COVID-19 Era," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(17), pages 1-19, August.
- Evan Weissman & Jonnell Robinson & William Cecio, 2020. "The promise and pitfalls of mobile markets: an exploratory survey of mobile food retailers in the United States and Canada," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 37(3), pages 895-906, September.
- Strupat, Christoph & Farfán, Gabriela & Moritz, Laura & Negre, Mario & Vakis, Renos, 2021.
"Obesity and food away from home: What drives the socioeconomic gradient in excess body weight?,"
Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 43(C).
- Strupat,Christoph & Farfan Bertran,Maria Gabriela & Moritz,Laura & Negre Rossignoli,Mario & Vakis,Renos, 2019. "Obesity and Food away from Home : What Drives the Socioeconomic Gradient in Excess Body Weight ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 9066, The World Bank.
- Susan Chen & Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Samantha Snyder & Christopher C. Miller, 2010. "Obesity and Access to Chain Grocers," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(4), pages 431-452, October.
- Karnik, Harshada & Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2018. "Impacts of Point-of-Sales Nutritional Labels and Nutrition Education on Healthful Food Purchase at Rural Grocery Stores: A Case Study," 2018 Annual Meeting, August 5-7, Washington, D.C. 273898, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sanghyo Kim & Kyei-Im Lee & Seong-Yoon Heo & Seung-Chul Noh, 2020. "Identifying Food Deserts and People with Low Food Access, and Disparities in Dietary Habits and Health in Korea," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(21), pages 1-21, October.
- Salois, Matthew J., 2012. "Obesity and diabetes, the built environment, and the ‘local’ food economy in the United States, 2007," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 35-42.
- Amin, Modhurima Dey & Badruddoza, Syed & McCluskey, Jill J., 2021. "Predicting access to healthful food retailers with machine learning," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 99(C).
- Metin Çakır & Xiangwen Kong & Clare Cho & Alexander Stevens, 2020. "Rural Food Retailing and Independent Grocery Retailer Exits," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 102(5), pages 1352-1367, October.
- Ver Ploeg, Michele & Dutko, Paula & Snyder, Samantha D. & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Williams, Ryan Blake & Dicken, Chris, 2012. "Enhanced Data and Methods for Estimating Access to Affordable and Nutritious Food for Population Characteristics," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124703, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Steele, Marie E. & Weatherspoon, Dave D., 2017. "A Theoretical Approach to Supermarket Chain Investment in Urban Food Deserts," 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois 258202, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
Keywordscompactness; food accessibility; food deserts; urban sprawl;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:urbstu:v:57:y:2020:i:8:p:1660-1675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/urbanstudiesjournal .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: SAGE Publications (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/urbanstudiesjournal .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.