Beach Re-nourishment and Property Value Growth: The Case of Folly Beach, South Carolina
Numerous studies using a variety of methods suggest that beach re-nourishment generates benefits to both recreational users and property owners. However, the only study to use a repeat sales index (Cordes, Gatlaff and Yezer, 2001) found no effect of re-nourishment on property values. We use a repeat sales index to investigate the effects of the Army Corps of Engineers' re-nourishment of Folly Beach, South Carolina. We find that this re-nourishment has maintained property values' rates of appreciation when compared with real estate values in a similar real estate market, the Isle of Palms, South Carolina.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Frederick W. Bell, 1986. "Economic Policy Issues Associated With Beach Renourishment," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 6(2), pages 374-381, November.
- Jeffrey Pompe, 2008. "The Effect of a Gated Community on Property and Beach Amenity Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 423-433.
- Bradley Ewing & Jamie Kruse & Yongsheng Wang, 2007. "Local housing price index analysis in wind-disaster-prone areas," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 40(2), pages 463-483, February.
- Cordes, Joseph J & Gatzlaff, Dean H & Yezer, Anthony M, 2001. "To the Water's Edge, and Beyond: Effects of Shore Protection Projects on Beach Development," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 287-302, March-May.
- Kenneth E. McConnell, 1977. "Congestion and Willingness to Pay: A Study of Beach Use," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 53(2), pages 185-195.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:40:y:2010:i:3:p:273-286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.