Green Taxes in a Federal Context: An Empirical Model for Industrial Waste in Spain
This paper reveals that the design of the green taxes levied on the production of industrial waste by certain regional governments in Spain does not appear to reduce environmental damage. This may be because these taxes try to mitigate financial shorts, tax rates are too low and are fixed arbitrarily, and agents react to tax differentials across regions by disposing of their waste in regions with lower or null tax rates or illegally dumping it. This suggests that the environmental issues related to the disposal of industrial waste should be supervised by the national government or somehow coordinated across regions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, December.
- William T. Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Molloy Wilson, 2002.
"Reexamining The Empirical Evidence For An Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 541-551, August.
- William Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Wilson, 2000. "Reexamining the Empirical Evidence for an Environmental Kuznets Curve," Working Papers gueconwpa~00-00-07, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- William Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Wilson, 2000. "Reexamining the Empirical Evidence for an Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 7711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinson, Arik, 2003.
"Environmental Regulatory Competition: A Status Report and Some New Evidence,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 56(1), pages 91-106, March.
- Arik Levinson, 2002. "Environmental Regulatory Competition: A Status Report and Some New Evident," Working Papers gueconwpa~02-02-07, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Glazer, Amihai, 1999. "Local regulation may be excessively stringent," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 553-558, September.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M., 1988. "Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 333-354, April.
- Kneese, Allen V, 1971. "Environmental Pollution: Economics and Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 153-166, May.
- Bowman Cutter, W. & DeShazo, J.R., 2007. "The environmental consequences of decentralizing the decision to decentralize," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Silvana Dalmazzone, 2006.
"Decentralization and the Environment,"
in: Handbook of Fiscal Federalism, chapter 18
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Dalmazzone Silvana, 2006. "Decentralization and the Environment," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200602, University of Turin.
- Fullerton Don & Kinnaman Thomas C., 1995.
"Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 78-91, July.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1993. "Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping," NBER Working Papers 4374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tomás J. López-Guzmán Guzmán & Fernando Lara de Vicente & Fernando Fuentes García & Ricardo Veroz Herradón, 2006. "La reforma fiscal ecológica en la Unión Europea: antecedentes, experiencias y propuestas," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 8(15), pages 321-332, July-Dece.
- Peltzman, Sam & Tideman, T Nicolaus, 1972. "Local versus National Pollution Control: Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 959-963, December.
- Daniel L. Millimet, 2003. "Assessing the Empirical Impact of Environmental Federalism," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 711-733.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:40:y:2010:i:1:p:27-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.