Do Charter Schools Affect Property Values?
Taxpayers are often concerned that introducing a charter school in their neighborhood will decrease their property values. We test this proposition by using three methods. We test the size and significance of the distance from a charter school with respect to property values; whether the intervention of a charter school changes the growth rate of property values; and whether the distance from a charter school has a different impact than the distance from a public school in similar neighborhoods. For the most part, we find little evidence that the existence of a charter school affects property values.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007.
"A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods,"
07-27, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 588-638, 08.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," NBER Working Papers 13236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cecilia Elena Rouse, 1998. "Private School Vouchers and Student Achievement: An Evaluation of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 553-602.
- William N. Evans & Robert M. Schwab, 1995. "Finishing High School and Starting College: Do Catholic Schools Make a Difference?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 941-974.
- Goldhaber, Dan D., 1996. "Public and private high schools: Is school choice an answer to the productivity problem?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 93-109, April.
- West, Edwin G & Palsson, Halldor, 1988. "Parental Choice of School Characteristics: Estimation Using State-Wide Data," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 725-40, October.
- Reback, Randall, 2005. "House prices and the provision of local public services: capitalization under school choice programs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 275-301, March.
- G. Donald Jud & James M. Watts, 1981. "Schools and Housing Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 459-470.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1992.
"Does School Quality Matter? Returns to Education and the Characteristics of Public Schools in the United States,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-40, February.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1990. "Does School Quality Matter? Returns to Education and the Characteristics of Public Schools in the United States," NBER Working Papers 3358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey R. Henig & Jason A. MacDonald, 2002. "Locational Decisions of Charter Schools: Probing the Market Metaphor," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 83(4), pages 962-980.
- Henry Levin & Cyrus Driver, 1997. "Cost of an Educational Voucher System," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 265-283.
- Donald Haurin & David Brasington, 1996. "The Impact of School Quality on Real House Prices: Interjurisdictional Effects," Working Papers 010, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Neighborhood school characteristics: what signals quality to homebuyers?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 2-9.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Brasington, David, 1996. "School Quality and Real House Prices: Inter- and Intrametropolitan Effects," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 351-368, December.
- Horowitz, John B. & Spector, Lee, 2005. "Is there a difference between private and public education on college performance?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 189-195, April.
- Do, A Quang & Wilbur, Robert W & Short, James L, 1994. "An Empirical Examination of the Externalities of Neighborhood Churches on Housing Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 127-36, September.
- John M. Clapp & Anupam Nanda & Stephen L. Ross, 2005.
"Which School Attributes Matter? The Influence of School District Performance and Demographic Composition on Property Values,"
2005-26, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- Clapp, John M. & Nanda, Anupam & Ross, Stephen L., 2008. "Which school attributes matter? The influence of school district performance and demographic composition on property values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 451-466, March.
- Dee, Thomas S., 1998. "Competition and the quality of public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 419-427, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:39:y:2009:i:3:p:297-316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.