Expected Time to Employment as a Function of Labor Market Size: A Theoretical Note
When job prospects are uncertain, labor market size matters even when labor and jobs, respectively, are homogenous. The expected time to employment and its standard deviation may differ systematically with labor market size and create incentives for agglomeration.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qinghua Zhang & Li Gan, 2004.
"The thick market effect of local unemployment rate fluctuation,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
179, Econometric Society.
- Gan, Li & Zhang, Qinghua, 2006. "The thick market effect on local unemployment rate fluctuations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 127-152, July.
- Li Gan & Qinghua Zhang, 2005. "The Thick Market Effect on Local Unemployment Rate Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 11248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Stewart, Mark B, 1995. "The Determinants of Individual Unemployment Durations in an Era of High Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 321-32, March.
- Smith, Adam, 1776. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number smith1776.
- Fields, Gary S, 1976. "Labor Force Migration, Unemployment and Job Turnover," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(4), pages 407-15, November.
- Toshihiko Mukoyama & Aysegül Sahin, 2004.
"Why did the average duration of unemployment become so much longer?,"
194, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Mukoyama, Toshihiko & Sahin, Aysegl, 2009. "Why did the average duration of unemployment become so much longer?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 200-209, March.
- Toshihiko Mukoyama & Aysegul Sahin, 2004. "Why Did the Average Duration of Unemployment Become So Much Longer?," Working Papers 04002, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, Michael J, 1975. "Research on Internal Migration in the United States: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 397-433, June.
- Jeffrey A. Groen, 2005. "Occupation-Specific Human Capital and Local Labor Markets," Working Papers 376, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Elazar Berkovitch, 1985. "Reputation Effect in Equilibrium Search and Bargaining- A Stigma Theory of Unemployment Duration," Discussion Papers 668, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Timothy J. Bartik, .
"Spillover Effects of Welfare Reforms in State Labor Markets,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
tjb2002jrs, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 2002. "Spillover Effects of Welfare Reforms in State Labor Markets," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 667-701.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:39:y:2009:i:3:p:287-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.