Wal-Mart and Small Business: Boon or Bane?
This paper tests the impact of Wal-Mart discount and superstore presence on the number of small businesses in Iowa counties from 1989-2003. I employ and compare two well-known identification strategies in a spatial autoregressive model. I find no statistically meaningful impact of Wal-Mart on small firms (1-20 employees in three employment ranges), though there is weak statistical evidence that an own-county Wal-Mart increases the number of small businesses while Wal-Marts in adjacent counties reduce the number of small businesses. These results mimic several other studies of Wal-Mart including Hicks and Wilburn (2001), Hicks (2007), and Sobel and Dean (2008).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Stephen Ciccarella, 2005.
"The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11782, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neumark, David & Zhang, Junfu & Ciccarella, Stephen, 2007. "The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 2545, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Stephen Ciccarella, 2006. "The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets," Working Papers 060711, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Barnes, Nora Ganim & Connell, Allison & Hermenegildo, Lisa & Mattson, Lucinda, 1996. "Regional differences in the economic impact of Wal-Mart," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 21-25.
- Hicks, Michael J. & Wilburn, Kristy L., 2001. "The Regional Impact of Wal-Mart Entrance: A Panel Study of the Retail Trade Sector in West Virginia," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 31(3), pages 305-313, Winter.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman, 1999.
"A New Specification Test for the Validity of Instrumental Variables,"
99-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman, 2002. "A New Specification Test for the Validity of Instrumental Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 163-189, January.
- A. Bhargava & L. Franzini & W. Narendranathan, 2006.
"Serial Correlation and the Fixed Effects Model,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Econometrics, Statistics And Computational Approaches In Food And Health Sciences, chapter 4, pages 61-77
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Artz, Georgeanne M., 1999. "The Impact of Wal-Mart on Retail Market Structure in Maine," Staff General Research Papers Archive 4003, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew W. Franklin, 2001. "The impact of Wal-Mart supercenters on supermarket concentration in U.S. metropolitan areas," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 105-114.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:39:y:2009:i:1:p:73-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.