Geographic and Temporal Heterogeneity in Public Prescription Pharmaceutical Expenditures in Spain
A panel of aggregate data for 50 provinces is used to analyze Spain's per capita public pharmaceutical expenditures. In contrast to previous practice, our approach permits the analysis of the effects determinants on pharmaceutical expenditure to be heterogeneous across years and provinces. Considerable parametric heterogeneity over time as well as across provinces is found, even after controlling for residual temporal heterogeneity and interdependence as well as residual spatial spillovers. This underlines the need for using disaggregate spatial data when attempting to model macroeconomic behavior.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2004. "Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in Spain," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 149-165, February.
- Joines, Jerry D. & Hertz-Picciotto, Irva & Carey, Timothy S. & Gesler, Wilbert & Suchindran, Chirayath, 2003. "A spatial analysis of county-level variation in hospitalization rates for low back problems in North Carolina," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 2541-2553, June.
- Guillem Lopez-Casasnovas & Joan Costa-Font & Ivan Planas, 2005. "Diversity and regional inequalities in the Spanish 'system of health care services'," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages 221-235.
- Guillem López-Casasnovas & Marc Saez, 2007.
"A multilevel analysis on the determinants of regional health care expenditure: a note,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 8(1), pages 59-65, March.
- Guillem López & Marc Sáez, 2001. "A multilevel analysis on the determinants of regional health care expenditure. A note," Economics Working Papers 572, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Guillem López & Marc Sáez, 2001. "A multilevel analysis on the determinants of regional health care expenditure. A note," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 572, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Levaggi, Rosella & Zanola, Roberto, 2003. "Flypaper Effect and Sluggishness: Evidence from Regional Health Expenditure in Italy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(5), pages 535-547, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)