R&D Investments and the Spatial Dimension: Evidence from Firm Level Data
This paper proposes to investigate the effect of spillovers on firms' R&D investment decisions. We develop an analysis merging the geographer's toolbox with standard econometric techniques. For a chosen sample of sectors, we test the existence of positive spatial autocorrelation at the level of R&D investments. We provide results on how far the local environment may influence the firms' investment decisions, hence to what extent localization economies matter for agglomeration. Data confirm that the proximity to other firms investing in R&D may produce positive externalities. Finally, the diversity versus specialization debate is tackled.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Ciccone, 1998.
"Agglomeration-effects in Europe,"
Economics Working Papers
499, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1999.
- Wagner, Alfred, 1891.
"Marshall's Principles of Economics,"
History of Economic Thought Articles,
McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 5, pages 319-338.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998.
"Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998. "Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 18-29, Summer.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999.
"Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998. "Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eckhardt Bode, 2004. "The spatial pattern of localized R&D spillovers: an empirical investigation for Germany," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 43-64, January.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Paul, Catherine J. Morrison, 2005. "Agglomeration economies and industry location decisions: the impacts of spatial and industrial spillovers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 215-237, May.
- Luisito Bertinelli & Rosella Nicolini, 2002.
"La R&D au niveau des entreprises belges: une approche spatiale,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 45(4), pages 187-216.
- BERTINELLI, Luisito & NICOLINI, Rosella, . "La R&D au niveau des entreprises belges: une approche spatiale," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1624, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bernard Fingleton, 2003. "Externalities, Economic Geography, And Spatial Econometrics: Conceptual And Modeling Developments," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 197-207, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:35:y:2005:i:2:p:206-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.