Competition in the Portuguese economy: Estimated price-cost margins under imperfect labour markets
This article estimates price-cost margins for the Portuguese markets in a context of imperfect competition in the labour market. The database used includes virtually the universe of Portuguese firms for the period 2005-2009. The results strongly reject the hypothesis of perfect competition in both labour and product markets. Estimated price-cost margins are very heterogeneous across markets and the average for the overall economy ranges between 25 and 28 per cent, depending on the variables used to weight each market. In addition, the tradable sector presents a lower price-cost margin than the non-tradable sector. According to the methodology used, workers’ bargaining power in the Portuguese economy is approximately 13 per cent, without a clear distinction between tradable and non-tradable sectors. Finally, workers’ bargaining power is highly and positively correlated with price-cost margins across markets. JEL Classification: L10, L60, O50
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 21 321 32 00
Fax: 21 346 48 43
Web page: http://www.bportugal.ptEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filip Abraham & Jozef Konings & Stijn Vanormelingen, 2007.
"The Effect of Globalization on Union Bargaining and Price-Cost Margins of Firms,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18107, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Filip Abraham & Jozef Konings & Stijn Vanormelingen, 2009. "The effect of globalization on union bargaining and price-cost margins of firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 13-36, April.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20090002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2005. "Antidumping protection and markups of domestic firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 151-165, January.
- Christopoulou, Rebekka & Vermeulen, Philip, 2008.
"Markups in the euro area and the US over the period 1981-2004: a comparison of 50 sectors,"
Working Paper Series
0856, European Central Bank.
- Rebekka Christopoulou & Philip Vermeulen, 2012. "Markups in the Euro area and the US over the period 1981–2004: a comparison of 50 sectors," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 53-77, February.
- Levinsohn, J., 1991.
"Testing the Imports-As-Market-Discipline Hypothesis,"
272, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Levinsohn, James, 1993. "Testing the imports-as-market-discipline hypothesis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-22, August.
- James Levinsohn, 1991. "Testing the Imports-as-Market-Discipline Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 3657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Antonio Bassanetti & Roberto Torrini & Francesco Zollino, 2010.
"Changing institutions in the European market: the impact on mark-ups and rents allocation,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
781, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Antonio Bassanetti & Roberto Torrini & Francesco Zollino, . "Changing Institutions in the European Market: the Impact on Mark-ups and Rents Allocation," Working Papers 11, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Bruno CRÉPON & Rozen DESPLATZ & Jacques MAIRESSE, 2005.
"Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 583-610.
- Bruno Crépon & Rozen Desplatz & Jacques Mairesse, 2010. "Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Chapters, in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 583-610 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amador, João & Soares, Ana Cristina, 2013.
"Competition in the Portuguese economy: insights from a profit elasticity approach,"
Working Paper Series
1603, European Central Bank.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy: Insights from a profit elasticity approach," Working Papers w201217, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dunne, Paul & Hughes, Alan, 1994. "Age, Size, Growth and Survival: UK Companies in the 1980s," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 115-40, June.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2011.
"Markups, Bargaining Power and Offshoring: An Empirical Assessment-super-1,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9), pages 1593-1627, 09.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: An empirical assessment," Working Papers 10-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: an empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 23587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ana Cristina Soares & João Amador, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy:An overview of classical indicators," Working Papers w201208, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ptu:bdpart:b201303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.