Shadow market area for air pollutants
This study identifies the shadow market area of air pollutants on the basis of the Gaussian plume model. Since pollutants are dispersed by wind, transport costs are irrelevant in its formation. Pollutant distribution on the ground level has an asymmetric bell shape in the wind direction. In addition to the linear functions, the exponential and quadratic shadow price functions are considered for the compensation of a health hazard to consumers, where the strict liability in the framework of the Coase theorem applies. The shadow market area for pollutants is shell shaped. This specific characteristic has an implication for market boundaries between polluters and their location decisions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. D. Hyson & W. P. Hyson, 1950. "The Economic Law of Market Areas," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 319-327.
- Petrakis, Emmanuel & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2003. "Location decisions of a polluting firm and the time consistency of environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 197-214, May.
- Siebert, Horst, 1981. "Praktische Schwierigkeiten bei der Steuerung der Umweltnutzung über Preise," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3581, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Katherine Falconer & Pierre Dupraz & Martin Whitby, 2001. "An Investigation of Policy Administrative Costs Using Panel Data for the English Environmentally Sensitive Areas," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 83-103.
- Sheshinski, Eytan, 2004.
"On atmosphere externality and corrective taxes,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 727-734, March.
- Eskeland, Gunnar S, 1994. "A Presumptive Pigovian Tax: Complementing Regulation to Mimic an Emissions Fee," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 373-94, September.
- Shaik, Saleem & Helmers, Glenn A. & Langemeier, Michael R., 2002. "Direct And Indirect Shadow Price And Cost Estimates Of Nitrogen Pollution Abatement," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Dixit, Avinash & Olson, Mancur, 2000. "Does voluntary participation undermine the Coase Theorem?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 309-335, June.
- Drezner, Zvi & Wesolowsky, George O., 1996. "Location-allocation on a line with demand-dependent costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 444-450, May.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2000. "The Shadow Price of Aircraft Noise Nuisance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-004/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jesse Schwartz & Robert Repetto, 2000. "Nonseparable Utility and the Double Dividend Debate: Reconsidering the Tax-Interaction Effect," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(2), pages 149-157, February.
- Koop, Gary & Tole, Lise, 2004. "Measuring the health effects of air pollution: to what extent can we really say that people are dying from bad air?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 30-54, January.
- Louis Kaplow & Steven Shavell, 1999.
"Economic Analysis of Law,"
NBER Working Papers
6960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Williams III, Roberton C., 2003. "Health effects and optimal environmental taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 323-335, February.
- Gustafsson, Bo, 1998. "Scope and limits of the market mechanism in environmental management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2-3), pages 259-274, February.
- Soderholm, Patrik & Sundqvist, Thomas, 2003. "Pricing environmental externalities in the power sector: ethical limits and implications for social choice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 333-350, October.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Novshek, William, 1982. "Equilibrium in a simple price-location model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-15.
- Steven Shavell, 1983. "Liability for Harm Versus Regulation of Safety," NBER Working Papers 1218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sakari Uimonen, 2001. "The insufficiency of Pigouvian taxes in a spatial general equilibrium model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 283-298.
- McCann, Laura & Colby, Bonnie & Easter, K. William & Kasterine, Alexander & Kuperan, K.V., 2005. "Transaction cost measurement for evaluating environmental policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 527-542, March.
- Jacek Cukrowski & Manfred M. Fischer, 2000. "Theory of Comparative Advantage: Do Transportation Costs Matter?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 311-322.
- Abdullah Dasci & Gilbert Laporte, 2004. "Location and Pricing Decisions of a MultiStore Monopoly in a Spatial Market," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 489-515.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pio:envirb:v:36:y:2009:i:4:p:664-681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.