The port geography of UK international trade
This paper examines how the geography of UK international trade has changed since the United Kingdom’s accession to the European Economic Community, using a newly constructed dataset that gives a detailed breakdown of the United Kingdom’s imports and exports by both port of entry and exit and commodity. Our results suggest that between 1970 and 1992 overall imports and exports reorientated in favour of ports located nearer to the continent. The vast majority of individual commodities also saw a similar reorientation. Our results point to an important role for market access in determining the geography of UK trade.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry Overman & L. Alan Winters, 2003.
"Trade Shocks and Industrial Location: the Impact of EEC Accession on the UK,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0588, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Henry G. Overman & L. Alan Winters, 2006. "Trade shocks and industrial location: the impact of EEC accession on the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 676, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- A G Hoare, 1988. "Geographical aspects of British overseas trade: a framework and a review," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(10), pages 1345-1364, October.
- A G Hoare, 1988. "Geographical Aspects of British Overseas Trade: A Framework and a Review," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 20(10), pages 1345-1364, October.
- A G Hoare, 1977. "The Geography of British Exports," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 9(2), pages 121-136, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)