The port geography of UK international trade
This paper examines how the geography of UK international trade has changed since the United Kingdom’s accession to the European Economic Community, using a newly constructed dataset that gives a detailed breakdown of the United Kingdom’s imports and exports by both port of entry and exit and commodity. Our results suggest that between 1970 and 1992 overall imports and exports reorientated in favour of ports located nearer to the continent. The vast majority of individual commodities also saw a similar reorientation. Our results point to an important role for market access in determining the geography of UK trade.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A G Hoare, 1988. "Geographical Aspects of British Overseas Trade: A Framework and a Review," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 20(10), pages 1345-1364, October.
- Henry Overman & L. Alan Winters, 2003.
"Trade Shocks and Industrial Location: the Impact of EEC Accession on the UK,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0588, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Henry G. Overman & L. Alan Winters, 2006. "Trade shocks and industrial location: the impact of EEC accession on the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 676, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- A G Hoare, 1988. "Geographical aspects of British overseas trade: a framework and a review," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(10), pages 1345-1364, October.
- A G Hoare, 1977. "The Geography of British Exports," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 9(2), pages 121-136, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pio:envira:v:37:y:2005:i:10:p:1751-1768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.