The determinants of structural change in the European Union: a new application of RAS
In economic theory and practice, technological developments and changes in relative prices lead to changes in the input mix of one or more industries. Via intersectoral and interregional relations, this affects the entire production structure. In analysing the structural changes in an economy, changes in the input coefficients are a major determinant. Typically, however, this determinant is not unravelled further into its underlying sources. In the present paper we apply the RAS method to decompose the input coefficient changes into column-specific, row-specific, and cell-specific changes. They indicate the change in the intermediate input intensity of a sector, the average substitution of the intermediate goods and services provided by a sector, and the sector-specific substitutions, respectively. The method is applied to input - output tables of European Union member states, as issued every five years between 1965 and 1985. The usefulness of the RAS method as a descriptive tool is established.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hewings, Geoffrey J. D., 1984. "The role of prior information in updating regional input-output models," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 319-336.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1988.
"Comparative Advantage And Long-Run Growth,"
39-88, Tel Aviv.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 1999. "Structural Change in Chile: 1960-90," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 301-320.
- Louis De Mesnard, 1990. "Biproportional Method for Analysing Interindustry Dynamics: the case of France," Post-Print hal-00383965, HAL.
- Bullard, Clark W & Sebald, Anthony V, 1988. "Monte Carlo Sensitivity Analysis of Input-Output Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 708-12, November.
- B. Cabrer & D. Contreras & A. Sancho, 1998. "Prices Revisited: Their Effects on Industrial Structure," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 31-44.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J. D. & Fonseca, Manuel & Guilhoto, Joaquim & Sonis, Michael, 1989.
"Key sectors and structural change in the Brazilian economy: A comparison of alternative approaches and their policy implications,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 67-90.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Fonseca, Miguel A. & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Sonis, Michael, 1989. "Key sectors and structural change in the Brazilian economy: a comparsion of alternative approaches and their policy implications," MPRA Paper 54761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Louis De Mesnard, 1997. "A biproportional filter to compare technical and allocation coefficient variations," Post-Print hal-00383934, HAL.
- R C Jensen & G R West, 1980. "The Effect of Relative Coefficient Size on Inputâ€”Output Multipliers," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 12(6), pages 659-670, June.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Alex R. Hoen & Bart Los, 2000. "Labor Productivity in Western Europe 1975-1985: An Intercountry, Interindustry Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 425-452.
- Henrik Jacobsen, 2000. "Energy Demand, Structural Change and Trade: A Decomposition Analysis of the Danish Manufacturing Industry," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 319-343.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George & Robinson, Sherman, 1994. "Recovering Information from Incomplete or Partial Multisectoral Economic Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 541-49, August.
- Amos Golan & Stephen Vogel, 2000. "Estimation of Non-Stationary Social Accounting Matrix Coefficients with Supply-Side Information," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 447-471.
- Dietzenbacher, Erik & Hoen, Alex R, 1998. "Deflation of Input-Output Tables from the User's Point of View: A Heuristic Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 111-22, March.
- Francis Cronin & Mark Gold, 1998. "Analytical Problems in Decomposing the System-wide Effects of Sectoral Technical Change," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 325-336.
- R C Jensen & G R West, 1980. "The effect of relative coefficient size on input - output multipliers," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(6), pages 659-670, June.
- Rolando Alcala & Gabrielle Antille & Emilio Fontela, 1999. "Technical Change in the Private Consumption Converter," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 389-400.
- Louis De Mesnard, 1994. "Unicity of biproportion," Post-Print hal-00383947, HAL.
- Ali Reza Jalili, 2000. "Comparison of Two Methods of Identifying Input-Output Coefficients for Exogenous Estimation," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 113-129.
- Defourny, Jacques & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "Structural Path Analysis and Multiplier Decomposition within a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 111-36, March.
- Bullard, Clark W, III & Sebald, Anthony V, 1977. "Effects of Parametric Uncertainty and Technological Change on Input-Output Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 75-81, February.
- Feldman, Stanley J & McClain, David & Palmer, Karen, 1987. "Sources of Structural Change in the United States, 1963-78: An Input-Output Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 503-10, August.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Bart Los, 1998. "Structural Decomposition Techniques: Sense and Sensitivity," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 307-324.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Bart Los, 2000. "Structural Decomposition Analyses with Dependent Determinants," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 497-514.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pio:envira:v:32:y:2000:i:12:p:2205-2229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.