The Property Tax as a Capital Tax: A Room with Three Views
The "traditional view," the "benefit view," and the "new view" are three alternative views of the incidence of the property tax that have appeared in recent literature; this article discusses the primary implications of the three views and summarizes their history.
Volume (Year): 54 (2001)
Issue (Month): n. 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 725 15th St. NW #600. Washington, D.C. 20005-2109|
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter M. Mieszkowski & George R. Zodrow, 1984.
"The New View of the Property Tax: A Reformulation,"
NBER Working Papers
1481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilson, John D., 1986. "A theory of interregional tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 296-315, May.
- Fischel, William A., 2001. "Homevoters, Municipal Corporate Governance, and the Benefit View of the Property Tax," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 1), pages 157-74, March.
- Hamilton, Bruce W, 1976. "Capitalization of Intrajurisdictional Differences in Local Tax Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 743-53, December.
- Bruce W. Hamilton, 1975. "Zoning and Property Taxation in a System of Local Governments," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 12(2), pages 205-211, June.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1969. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: An Empirical Study of Tax Capitalization and the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 957-71, Nov./Dec..
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June.
- Hamilton, Bruce W, 1976. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: A Theoretical Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 647-50, June.
- Hamilton, Bruce W, 1979. "Capitalization of Intrajurisdictional Differences in Local Tax Prices: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 485, June.
- Herbert A. Simon, 1943. "The Incidence of a Tax on Urban Real Property," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 398-420.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1962. "The Incidence of the Corporation Income Tax," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 215.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1987. "The economics of the local public sector," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 571-645 Elsevier.
- Lin, Chuan, 1986. "A general equilibrium analysis of property tax incidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 113-132, February.
- Mieszkowski, Peter, 1972.
"The property tax: An excise tax or a profits tax?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 73-96, April.
- Wales, T J & Wiens, E G, 1974. "Capitalization of Residential Property Taxes: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 329-33, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:54:y:2001:i:n._1:p:139-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.