Sales Taxes and Prices: An Empirical Analysis
We employ a unique data source to examine the incidence of sales taxes. The main idea is to take information on the prices of specific commodities in different U.S. cities and to examine the extent to which differences in tax rates and bases are reflected in prices, controlling for other factors (such as costs). We find a surprising variety of shifting patterns. For some commodities, the after-tax price increases by exactly the amount of the tax, a result consistent with the standard competitive model. However, taxes on other commodities are overshifted--an increase in tax revenue of one dollar per unit increases the price by more than one dollar.
Volume (Year): 52 (1999)
Issue (Month): n. 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1994.
"A sticky-price manifesto,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Ball, Laurence & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1994. "A sticky-price manifesto," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 127-151, December.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moriak, Theo F. & Logan, Samuel H., 1971. "Monthly Retail Demand for Bread," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G., 1986. "The frequency of price adjustment : A study of the newsstand prices of magazines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 255-274, April.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995.
"Does Electoral Accountability Affect Economic Policy Choices? Evidence from Gubernatorial Term Limits,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 769-98, August.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1993. "Does Electoral Accountability Affect Economic Policy Choices? Evidence from Gubernatorial Term Limits," NBER Working Papers 4575, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boehm, William T., 1975. "The Household Demand For Major Dairy Products In The Southern Region," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- Poterba, James M & Rotemberg, Julio J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986.
"A Tax-Based Test for Nominal Rigidities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 659-75, September.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985. "A Tax-Based Test for Nominal Rigidities," NBER Working Papers 1627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985. "A Tax-Based Test for Nominal Rigidities," Working papers 376, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Michael L. Katz & Harvey S. Rosen, 1983. "Tax Analysis in an Oligopoly Model," NBER Working Papers 1088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seade, J, 1985. "Profitable Cost Increases and the Shifting of Taxation : Equilibrium Response of Markets in Oligopoly," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 260, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1991.
"Why are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study,"
NBER Working Papers
3646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1991. "Why Are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 89-96, May.
- Jeffrey E. Harris, 1987. "The 1983 Increase in the Federal Cigarette Excise Tax," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 1, pages 87-112 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M., 1996. "Retail Price Reactions to Changes in State and Local Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 165-76, June.
- Alcaly, Roger E & Klevorick, Alvin K, 1971. "Food Prices in Relation to Income Levels in New York City," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 380-97, October.
- Delipalla, Sofia & Keen, Michael, 1992.
"The comparison between ad valorem and specific taxation under imperfect competition,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 351-367, December.
- Sofia Delipalla & Michael Keen, 1991. "The Comparison Between Ad Valorem and Specific Taxation under Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 821, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 1043-1092
- Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1987.
"Estimating market structure and tax incidence: the Japanese television market,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt8769c17g, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1989. "Estimating Market Structure and Tax Incidence: The Japanese Television Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 225-39, March.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 637-58, September.
- MacDonald, James M. & Nelson, Paul Jr., 1991. "Do the poor still pay more? Food price variations in large metropolitan areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 344-359, November.
- Besley, Timothy, 1989. "Commodity taxation and imperfect competition : A note on the effects of entry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 359-367, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:52:y:1999:i:n._2:p:157-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.