Did Serrano Cause a Decline in School Spending
Compared to the national average, California's public school spending per pupil fell by 23 percent from 1970 to 1990. Finds that about half of the decline can be attributed to Sererano v. Priest, the 1971 California Supreme Court ruling that required equal spending per pupil across school districts in the state. The remainder can be attributed to the rapid enrollment growth in California during the 1980's.
Volume (Year): 48 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 725 15th St. NW #600. Washington, D.C. 20005-2109|
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothstein, Paul, 1992. "The demand for education with 'power equalizing' aid : Estimation and simulation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 135-162, November.
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1981. "Does Federalism Matter? Political Choice in a Federal Republic," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(1), pages 152-65, February.
- Robert Inman, 1978. "Testing political economy’s ‘as if’ proposition: is the median income voter really decisive?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 45-65, December.
- Steven G. Craig & Robert P. Inman, 1985.
"Education, Welfare, and the "New" Federalism: State Budgeting in a Federalist Public Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Craig & Robert P. Inman, 1986. "Education, Welfare and the "New" Federalism: State Budgeting in a Federalist Public Economy," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in State and Local Public Finance, pages 187-228 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Downes, Thomas A., 1992. "Evaluating the Impact of School Finance Reform on the Provision of Public Education: The California Case," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(4), pages 405-19, December.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:48:y:1995:i:no._2:p:199-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.