Government Revenue Forecasting in Nepal
This paper attempts to identify appropriate methods for government revenues forecasting based on time series forecasting. I have utilized level data of monthly revenue series including 192 observations starting from 1997 to 2012 for the analysis. Among the five competitive methods under scrutiny, Winter method and Seasonal ARIMA method are found in tracking the actual Data Generating Process (DGP) of monthly revenue series of the government of Nepal. Out of two selected methods, seasonal ARIMA method albeit superior in terms of minimum MPE and MAPE criteria. However, the results of forecasted revenues in this paper may vary depending on the application of more sophisticated methods of forecasting which capture cyclical components of the revenue series. The prevailing forecasting method based particularly on growth rate method extended with discretionary adjustment of a number of updated assumptions and personal judgment can create uncertainty in revenue forecasting practice. Therefore, the methods recommended here in this paper help in reducing forecasting error of the government revenue in Nepal.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annette Kyobe & Stephan Danninger, 2005. "Revenue Forecastingâ€”How is it done? Results from a Survey of Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 05/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Auerbach, Alan Jeffrey, 1999.
"On the Performance and Use of Government Revenue Forecasts,"
Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8h845262, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1999. "On the Performance and Use of Government Revenue Forecasts," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 4), pages 765-82, December.
- Peter R. Winters, 1960. "Forecasting Sales by Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 324-342, April.
- Stephan Danninger, 2005. "Revenue Forecasts as Performance Targets," IMF Working Papers 05/14, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:47-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.