Macro-Financial Link and Monetary Policy Management: Insight from the Case of Nepal
Increasing financial sector development and globalization have significantly changed the naturo of macro-financial link. The paper aims to obtain insight on how these changes have impacted on the effectiveness of monetary policy management, by undergoing a case study of Nepal. The empirical results over the thirty five year period spanning FY 1975 to FY 2009, find that the elasticity of the real interest rate is not economically and statistically significant in relation to the output gap. This result is further explored by examining sequentially the contributions of direct financing, domestic financial sector development and external integration. The results suggest that while their respective contribution to the elasticity of the real interest rate is now statistically significant, however it remains economically insignificant. Further the direction of effect is opposite to that of the theoretically predicted sign; this contrary result implies that the residual is driving the regression results. The results further suggest that the economic regime shift in early-1990s, had contributed to weaken the elasticity of the real interest rate. The general insight from the Nepalese case study is that countries have to re-examine on a regular basis the nature of macro-financial link to ensure optimal monetary policy management.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xin Long & Mangal Goswami & Andreas Jobst, 2009. "An Investigation of Some Macro-Financial Linkages of Securitization," IMF Working Papers 09/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Nephil Matangi Maskay Ph.D. & Rajendra Pandit, 2009.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through in Nepal,"
NRB Working Paper
05/2009, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department.
- Nephil Matangi Maskay Ph.D. & Satyendra Raj Subedi, 2009. "Development of the Nepalese Financial System: Need for the Formulation of a Master Plan," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 21, pages 31-51, April.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Ola Melander, 2008. "Credit Matters; Empirical Evidence on U.S. Macro-Financial Linkages," IMF Working Papers 08/169, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:nrb:journl:v:21:y:2009:p:2 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:23:y:2011:i:2:p:1-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.