Long-run Relationships of Macroeconomic Variables in Nepal: A VAR Approach
This paper utilizes cointegration procedure of Johansen and Juselius (1990) in estimating the long run economic relationships of macroeconomic variables comprising M2 monetary aggregate, Real Gross Domestic Product (RGDP), Consumer Price Index (CPI) and Interest Rate (RT) using annual data ranging from 1975 to 2006. Since one cointegrating vector is found to be statistically significant among the variables under consideration, the result is tantamount to deducing the coefficients of Error Correction Model (ECM). In an application of the Augmented Dickey and Fuller (ADF) test to examine the presence of unit roots in the variables prior to the variables used in estimating long run relationships, the ADF sequential search procedure supports an existence of unit roots in all the variables. This paper also estimates the demand for money function in Nepal as an application of long run relationships between the variables using the said procedure. The coefficients of income and interest rate elasticity of M1 so estimated as depicted by the normalized cointegrating vector are in line with theoretical underpinning. Since the coefficients estimated in this paper rely on restricted VAR method that are contrary to the past practices in estimating cointegrating vector using the Engle-Granger (1987) two-step procedure in Nepal, the coefficients are supposed to be robust and consistent owing to the stronger restrictions imposed by cointegrating vector as against the a theoretical VAR approach.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Hendry,David F. & Morgan,Mary S., 1995.
"The Foundations of Econometric Analysis,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521380430, Junio.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "Introduction to "A Theory of the Consumption Function"," NBER Chapters, in: A Theory of the Consumption Function, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Mark W. Watson, 1986.
"Are Business Cycles All Alike?,"
in: The American Business Cycle: Continuity and Change, pages 123-180
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1, September.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Andreas Beyer, 1998. "Modelling money demand in Germany," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 57-76.
- Alok Bhargava, 1986. "On the Theory of Testing for Unit Roots in Observed Time Series," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 369-384.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Stephen M. Goldfeld, 1973. "The Demand for Money Revisited," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(3), pages 577-646.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:21:y:2009:p:99-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.