The Impact of Fiscal Deficit on Long-term Nominal Interest Rate in Nepal
Growth of debt stock, changes in the debt composition, ownership structure of government debt and movement of interest rate on debt have been observed since the very beginning in Nepal. Public debt issues have been more and more market oriented and secondary market activities for short-term securities have expanded in recent years. Presently, the amount of debt service payment which exerts pressure on government budget constitutes more than one fourth of the total government expenditure. The theoretical prediction about the relationship between interest rate and government debt is still a matter of controversy. Empirical evidence of other countries on the relationship between interest rate and public debt has become inconclusive. This paper examines the relationship between long-term nominal interest rate and budget deficit variables in Nepal. The study finds the evidence that there exists positive but insignificant relationship between long-term nominal interest rate of government securities and budget deficit variables.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Barro, Robert J., 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Scholarly Articles 3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Knot, Klaas & de Haan, Jakob, 1995. "Fiscal policy and interest rates in the European community," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 171-187, March.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979. "On the Determination of the Public Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-971, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979. "On the Determination of the Public Debt," Scholarly Articles 3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hoelscher, Gregory, 1986. "New Evidence on Deficits and Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Dwyer, Gerald P, Jr, 1985. "Federal Deficits, Interest Rates, and Monetary Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 655-681, November.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Silber, William L, 1970. "Fiscal Policy in IS-LM Analysis: A Correction," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 2(4), pages 461-472, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:17:y:2005:p:113-133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.