Economic and Social Upgrading in Global Value Chains and Industrial Clusters: Why Governance Matters
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kanchana N. Ruwanpura & Leanne Roncolato, 2006. "Child Rights: An Enabling or Disabling Right? The Nexus between Child Labor and Poverty in Bangladesh," Journal of Developing Societies, , vol. 22(4), pages 359-378, December.
- Bair, Jennifer & Gereffi, Gary, 2001. "Local Clusters in Global Chains: The Causes and Consequences of Export Dynamism in Torreon's Blue Jeans Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1885-1903, November.
- Polaski, Sandra, 2006. "Combining global and local forces: The case of labor rights in Cambodia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 919-932, May.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2003. "What really goes on in Silicon Valley? Spatial clustering and dispersal in modular production networks," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 199-225, April.
- Kolk, Ans & Van Tulder, Rob, 2004. "Ethics in international business: multinational approaches to child labor," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 49-60, February.
- H. Schmitz & P. Knorringa, 2000. "Learning from Global Buyers," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 177-205.
- Jeff Neilson & Bill Pritchard, 2010. "Fairness and ethicality in their place: the regional dynamics of fair trade and ethical sourcing agendas in the plantation districts of South India," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(8), pages 1833-1851, August.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Terheggen, Anne & Tijaja, Julia, 2011. "China as a Final Market: The Gabon Timber and Thai Cassava Value Chains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1177-1190, July.
- Meenu Tewari & Poonam Pillai, 2005. "Global Standards and the Dynamics of Environmental Compliance in India's Leather Industry," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 245-267.
- Christian H.M. Ketels & Olga Memedovic, 2008. "From clusters to cluster-based economic development," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 375-392.
- Salo V. Coslovsky, 2014. "Flying Under the Radar? The State and the Enforcement of Labour Laws in Brazil," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 190-216, June.
- Amengual, Matthew, 2010. "Complementary Labor Regulation: The Uncoordinated Combination of State and Private Regulators in the Dominican Republic," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 405-414, March.
- Stephanie BARRIENTOS & Gary GEREFFI & Arianna ROSSI, 2011. "Economic and social upgrading in global production networks: A new paradigm for a changing world," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 150(3-4), pages 319-340, December.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Meyer-Stamer, JORG, 1999. "How to Promote Clusters: Policy Experiences from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1693-1713, September.
- Maria Chiarvesio & Eleonora Di Maria & Stefano Micelli, 2008. "Global Value Chains and Open Networks: The Case of Italian Industrial Districts," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 333-350, December.
- Doner Richard F. & Schneider Ben Ross, 2000. "Business Associations and Economic Development: Why Some Associations Contribute More Than Others," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-29, December.
- Jeff Neilsno & Bill Pritchard, 2010. "Fairness and Ethicality in Their Place: The Regional Dynamics of Fair Trade and Ethical Sourcing Agendas in the Plantation Districts of South India," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 42(8), pages 1833-1851, August.
- Gary Gereffi, 2014. "Global value chains in a post-Washington Consensus world," Review of International Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 9-37, February.
- Khalid Nadvi, 2014. ""Rising Powers" and Labour and Environmental Standards," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 137-150, June.
- Kanchana N. Ruwanpura & Neil Wrigley, 2011. "The costs of compliance? Views of Sri Lankan apparel manufacturers in times of global economic crisis," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(6), pages 1031-1049, November.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Peter Lund-Thomsen & Adam Lindgreen, 2014. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Global Value Chains: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 123(1), pages 11-22, August.
- Contreras, Oscar F. & Carrillo, Jorge & Alonso, Jorge, 2012. "Local Entrepreneurship within Global Value Chains: A Case Study in the Mexican Automotive Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 1013-1023.
- Stefano Ponte & Timothy Sturgeon, 2014. "Explaining governance in global value chains: A modular theory-building effort," Review of International Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 195-223, February.
- Mayer, Frederick & Gereffi, Gary, 2010. "Regulation and Economic Globalization: Prospects and Limits of Private Governance," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 1-25, October.
- Alessandra Mezzadri, 2014. "Indian Garment Clusters and CSR Norms: Incompatible Agendas at the Bottom of the Garment Commodity Chain," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 238-258, June.
- Doner, Richard F. & Schneider, Ben Ross, 2000. "Business Associations and Economic Development: Why Some Associations Contribute More Than Others," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 261-288, November.
- Mayer Frederick & Gereffi Gary, 2010. "Regulation and Economic Globalization: Prospects and Limits of Private Governance," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 1-27, October.
- Timothy Sturgeon & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Gary Gereffi, 2008. "Value chains, networks and clusters: reframing the global automotive industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 297-321, May.
- Stephanie Barrientos & Andrienetta Kritzinger, 2004. "Squaring the circle: global production and the informalization of work in South African fruit exports," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 81-92.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreas Georg Scherer & Andreas Rasche & Guido Palazzo & André Spicer, 2016. "Managing for Political Corporate Social Responsibility: New Challenges and Directions for PCSR 2.0," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 273-298, May.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:96:y:2017:i:c:p:294-314 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alison Ashby, 2016. "From global to local: reshoring for sustainability," Operations Management Research, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 75-88, December.
- repec:pal:eurjdr:v:30:y:2018:i:3:d:10.1057_s41287-018-0137-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Caroline Hambloch, 2018. "Governance and Land Reform in the Palm Oil Value Chain in the Philippines," Working Papers 209, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK.
- repec:eee:worbus:v:53:y:2018:i:2:p:248-262 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsCorporate social responsibility; Global value chains; Industrial clusters; Governance; Economic upgrading; Social upgrading;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:133:y:2016:i:1:d:10.1007_s10551-014-2373-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.