The Hidden Structural Features of the Fiscal Rule: A European Saga
This paper addresses the question of the reform of the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP). More and more authors and policymakers are bringing to light the negative impacts of the European deficit rule on the countries and their ability to respond asymmetric economic shocks, and some are asking for a redefinition of the pact. If the focus of the SGP is only fiscal, and two of the biggest countries in Europe have failed to abide by the pact since its implementation, it seems clear that the SGP needs at least a re-examination. Yet, on the contrary, if we introduce into the analytical framework the SGP’s impacts on the European Union’s structural policies, the conclusions are far different. Abolishing the SGP could hinder the presently up-to-date convergence prospective. This paper proposes a theoretical analysis of the SGP that emphasizes a new feature of the SGP: a strong incentive to structural reforms. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112112
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Focco W. Vijselaar, 2000. "Macroeconomic Policy Co-ordination in the Euro Area," MEB Series (discontinued) 2000-5, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2003.
"Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice,"
Sciences Po publications
2003-02, Sciences Po.
- MATHIEU Catherine & STERDYNIAK Henri, . "Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice?," EcoMod2003 330700097, EcoMod.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2003. "Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2003-02, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"The interaction of fiscal and monetary policy in a monetary union : Balancing credibility and flexibility,"
1995-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," DELTA Working Papers 95-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Stefan Collignon, 2004. "The end of the Stability and Growth Pact?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 15-19, 03.
- J. de Haan & H. Berger & D. Jansen, 2003.
"The end of the stability and growth pact?,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
748, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Antonio Fat·s & Ilian Mihov, 2003. "On Constraining Fiscal Policy Discretion in EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 112-131.
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- Anton Muscatelli & Piergiovanna Natale & Patrizio Tirelli, 2003.
"A Simple and Flexible Alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact Deficit Ceilings. Is it at hand?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1006, CESifo Group Munich.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Piergiovanna Natale & Patrizio Tirelli, 2010. "A simple and flexible alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact deficit ceilings. Is it at hand?," Working Papers 195, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2010.
- Buiter, W.H. & Corsetti, G. & Roubini, N., 1992.
"Excessive Deficits: Sense and Nonsence in the Treaty of Maastricht,"
674, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1992. "`Excessive Deficits': Sense and Nonsense in the Treaty of Maastricht," CEPR Discussion Papers 750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1992.
"Fiscal policy in monetary unions: implications for Europe,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
92-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1993. "Fiscal policy in monetary unions: Implications for Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 39-65, March.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/1933 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vranceanu, Radu & Warin, Thierry, 2001. "EMU: Optimal Fiscal Strategy and the Punishment Effectiveness," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 494-504, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1998.
"The optimality of a monetary union without a fiscal union,"
1998-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2001. "The Optimality of a Monetary Union without a Fiscal Union," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 179-204, May.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1998. "The Optimality of a Monetary Union Without a Fiscal Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 1975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Unemployment and fiscal policy in an economic and monetary union," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Marco Buti & Werner Roeger & Jan In't Veld, 2001. "Stabilizing Output and Inflation: Policy Conflicts and Co-operation under a Stability Pact," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 801-828, December.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, . "The Future of the Euro: Is There an Alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact?," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_63, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:iaecre:v:11:y:2005:i:1:p:29-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.