The Hidden Structural Features of the Fiscal Rule: A European Saga
This paper addresses the question of the reform of the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP). More and more authors and policymakers are bringing to light the negative impacts of the European deficit rule on the countries and their ability to respond asymmetric economic shocks, and some are asking for a redefinition of the pact. If the focus of the SGP is only fiscal, and two of the biggest countries in Europe have failed to abide by the pact since its implementation, it seems clear that the SGP needs at least a re-examination. Yet, on the contrary, if we introduce into the analytical framework the SGP’s impacts on the European Union’s structural policies, the conclusions are far different. Abolishing the SGP could hinder the presently up-to-date convergence prospective. This paper proposes a theoretical analysis of the SGP that emphasizes a new feature of the SGP: a strong incentive to structural reforms. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112112
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Fat·s & Ilian Mihov, 2003. "On Constraining Fiscal Policy Discretion in EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 112-131.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Stefan Collignon, 2004. "The end of the Stability and Growth Pact?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 15-19, 03.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1998.
"The Optimality of a Monetary Union Without a Fiscal Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2001. "The Optimality of a Monetary Union without a Fiscal Union," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 179-204, May.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1998. "The optimality of a monetary union without a fiscal union," Discussion Paper 1998-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/1933 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1993.
"Fiscal policy in monetary unions: Implications for Europe,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 39-65, March.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1992. "Fiscal policy in monetary unions: implications for Europe," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 92-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J., 1996. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The interaction of fiscal and monetary policy in a monetary union : Balancing credibility and flexibility," Discussion Paper 1995-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:1995101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Buiter, Willem H. & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1992.
"`Excessive Deficits': Sense and Nonsense in the Treaty of Maastricht,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buiter, W.H. & Corsetti, G. & Roubini, N., 1992. "Excessive Deficits: Sense and Nonsence in the Treaty of Maastricht," Papers 674, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Focco W. Vijselaar, 2000. "Macroeconomic Policy Co-ordination in the Euro Area," MEB Series (discontinued) 2000-5, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Jakob de Haan & Helge Berger & David-Jan Jansen, 2003.
"The End of the Stability and Growth Pact?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1093, CESifo Group Munich.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2003.
"Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice,"
Sciences Po publications
2003-02, Sciences Po.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2003. "Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2003-02, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- MATHIEU Catherine & STERDYNIAK Henri, . "Reforming the Stability and Growth Pact: Breaking the Ice?," EcoMod2003 330700097, EcoMod.
- Marco Buti & Werner Roeger & Jan In't Veld, 2001. "Stabilizing Output and Inflation: Policy Conflicts and Co-operation under a Stability Pact," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 801-828, December.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, . "The Future of the Euro: Is There an Alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact?," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_63, Levy Economics Institute.
- Vranceanu, Radu & Warin, Thierry, 2001. "EMU: Optimal Fiscal Strategy and the Punishment Effectiveness," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 494-504, August.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Unemployment and fiscal policy in an economic and monetary union," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Anton Muscatelli & Piergiovanna Natale & Patrizio Tirelli, 2003.
"A Simple and Flexible Alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact Deficit Ceilings. Is it at hand?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1006, CESifo Group Munich.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Piergiovanna Natale & Patrizio Tirelli, 2010. "A simple and flexible alternative to the Stability and Growth Pact deficit ceilings. Is it at hand?," Working Papers 195, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2010.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:iaecre:v:11:y:2005:i:1:p:29-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.