Zero-Coupon Yield Curve Estimation with the Package termstrc
Since zero-coupon rates are rarely directly observable, they have to be estimated from market data. In this paper we review several widely-used parametric term structure estimation methods. We propose a weighted constrained optimization procedure with analytical gradients and a globally optimal start parameter search algorithm. Moreover, we introduce the R package termstrc, which offers a wide range of functions for term structure estimation based on static and dynamic coupon bond and yield data sets. It provides extensive summary statistics and plots to compare the results of the different estimation methods. We illustrate the application of the package through practical examples using market data from European government bonds and yields.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003.
"Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," NBER Working Papers 10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997.
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20070043 is not listed on IDEAS
- Achim Zeileis & Gabor Grothendieck, . "zoo: S3 Infrastructure for Regular and Irregular Time Series," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(i06).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jss:jstsof:36:i01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.