Censored Quantile Regression Redux
Quantile regression for censored survival (duration) data offers a more flexible alternative to the Cox proportional hazard model for some applications. We describe three estimation methods for such applications that have been recently incorporated into the R package quantreg: the Powell (1986) estimator for fixed censoring, and two methods for random censoring, one introduced by Portnoy (2003), and the other by Peng and Huang (2008). The Portnoy and Peng-Huang estimators can be viewed, respectively, as generalizations to regression of the Kaplan-Meier and Nelson-Aalen estimators of univariate quantiles for censored observations. Some asymptotic and simulation comparisons are made to highlight advantages and disadvantages of the three methods.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Peng, Limin & Huang, Yijian, 2008. "Survival Analysis With Quantile Regression Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 637-649, June.
- Lindgren, Anna, 1997. "Quantile regression with censored data using generalized L1 minimization," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 509-524, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 2007. "Improving the computation of censored quantile regressions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 88-108, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jss:jstsof:27:i06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.