Has the Export Pricing Behaviour of German Enterprises Changed? Empirical Evidence from German Sectoral Export Prices
The question as to whether the globalisation-related increase in competitive pressure may have caused the importance of cost pass-through (CPT) and pricing-to-market (PTM) for export pricing in Germany to shift since the 1990s is addressed by testing the long-run export pricing behaviour of German enterprises for changes in the impact of its determinants. As globalisation may have affected competitive pressure in individual product markets differently, export pricing is analysed for 11 product categories. Analytically, this problem is solved by applying the Saikkonen (1991) approach to estimate the individual export price categories in single equations. The first hypothesis - that CPT is stronger, and PTM weaker, for heterogeneous products than for homogeneous products - is found to hold more for CPT than for PTM. The second hypothesis, which presumes that CPT has weakened and PTM has strengthened since the 1990s, is confirmed with respect to the overall outcome, although for several product categories the results conflict with the hypothesis. Moreover, error correction models are used to test exporters' short-run price-setting behaviour for asymmetry, ie whether short-run increases in the export price determinants are passed through to a different extent than decreases. It is shown that symmetric export pricing is seldom rejected.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Jane E. Ihrig, 2001. "Monetary policy and exchange rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 704, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices: Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Hahn, Elke, 2003. "Pass-through of external shocks to euro area inflation," Working Paper Series 0243, European Central Bank.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Otani, Akira & Shiratsuka, Shigenori & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2003. "The Decline in the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from Japanese Import Prices," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(3), pages 53-81, October.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?," Staff Reports 149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?," NBER Working Papers 8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1986. "The Interaction of Foreign Exchange and Market Power Effects on German Domestic Prices," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 61-70, September.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Manon, 1994.
"Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: the Case of Swedish Machinery Exports,"
1994.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1995. "Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: The Case of Swedish Machinery Exports," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 533-46, November.
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S1-S1, 09.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1989. "The Effects of Foreign Exchange Movements on U.S. Domestic Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 505-11, August.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & Xu, Peng, 2000. "Exchange rates and market power: evidence from the petrochemical industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 283-297, December.
- Warmedinger, Thomas, 2004. "Import prices and pricing-to-market effects in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0299, European Central Bank.
- Sam Peltzman, 2000.
"Prices Rise Faster than They Fall,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 466-502, June.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998. "Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2000.
"Exchange rate pass-through and dynamic oligopoly: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Dominique M. Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1999. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Dynamic Oligopoly: An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 99/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles Engel, 1992.
"Real Exchange Rates and Relative Prices: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
4231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1993. "Real exchange rates and relative prices : An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-50, August.
- Hung, Wansing & Kim, Yoonbai & Ohno, Kenichi, 1993. "Pricing exports: a cross-country study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 3-28, February.
- Falk, Rahel & Falk, Martin, 1998.
"Pricing to market of German exporters: evidence from panel data,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Falk & Rahel Falk, 2000. "Pricing to Market of German Exporters: Evidence from Panel Data," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 21-46, March.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1991. "Asymptotically Efficient Estimation of Cointegration Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 1-21, March.
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph E. Gagnon & Jaime R. Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor A. Reeve & John H. Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
Staff Working Papers
04-21, Bank of Canada.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 135, Society for Computational Economics.
- José Manuel Campa & Jose M. González Mínguez, 2002. "Differences in exchange rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0219, Banco de Espa�a.
- Knetter, Michael M., 1994. "Is export price adjustment asymmetric?: evaluating the market share and marketing bottlenecks hypotheses," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Robert Anderton & Filippo di Mauro & Fabio Moneta, 2004. "Understanding the impact of the external dimension on the euro area - trade, capital flows and other international macroeconomic linkages," Occasional Paper Series 12, European Central Bank.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Kosma, Theodora, 2005. "Market power, innovative activity and exchange rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0531, European Central Bank.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2004. "Who Bears the Cost of a Change in the Exchange Rate?," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 589, Econometric Society.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
- Engel, Charles, 2002. "The Responsiveness of Consumer Prices to Exchange Rates: A Synthesis of Some New Open Economy Macro Models," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(0), pages 1-15, Supplemen.
- Anderton, Robert, 2003. "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 0219, European Central Bank.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Hafedh Bouakez, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Industrialized Countries," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2004(Spring), pages 19-28.
- Mick Silver, 2007. "Do Unit Value Export, Import, and Terms of Trade Indices Represent or Misrepresent Price Indices?," IMF Working Papers 07/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Stahn, Kerstin, 2006. "Has the impact of key determinants of German exports changed? Results from estimations of Germany's intra euro-area and extra euro-area exports," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:3:p:295-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.