Has the Export Pricing Behaviour of German Enterprises Changed? Empirical Evidence from German Sectoral Export Prices
The question as to whether the globalisation-related increase in competitive pressure may have caused the importance of cost pass-through (CPT) and pricing-to-market (PTM) for export pricing in Germany to shift since the 1990s is addressed by testing the long-run export pricing behaviour of German enterprises for changes in the impact of its determinants. As globalisation may have affected competitive pressure in individual product markets differently, export pricing is analysed for 11 product categories. Analytically, this problem is solved by applying the Saikkonen (1991) approach to estimate the individual export price categories in single equations. The first hypothesis - that CPT is stronger, and PTM weaker, for heterogeneous products than for homogeneous products - is found to hold more for CPT than for PTM. The second hypothesis, which presumes that CPT has weakened and PTM has strengthened since the 1990s, is confirmed with respect to the overall outcome, although for several product categories the results conflict with the hypothesis. Moreover, error correction models are used to test exporters' short-run price-setting behaviour for asymmetry, ie whether short-run increases in the export price determinants are passed through to a different extent than decreases. It is shown that symmetric export pricing is seldom rejected.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stahn, Kerstin, 2006. "Has the impact of key determinants of German exports changed? Results from estimations of Germany's intra euro-area and extra euro-area exports," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2000.
"Exchange rate pass-through and dynamic oligopoly: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Dominique M. Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1999. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Dynamic Oligopoly; An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 99/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?,"
149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?," IESE Research Papers D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?," NBER Working Papers 8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices; Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Engel, Charles, 2002. "The Responsiveness of Consumer Prices to Exchange Rates: A Synthesis of Some New Open Economy Macro Models," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(0), pages 1-15, Supplemen.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
04-21, Bank of Canada.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 135, Society for Computational Economics.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2004. "Who Bears the Cost of a Change in the Exchange Rate?," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 589, Econometric Society.
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S1-S1, 09.
- Engel, Charles, 1993.
"Real exchange rates and relative prices : An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-50, August.
- Charles Engel, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates and Relative Prices: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hung, Wansing & Kim, Yoonbai & Ohno, Kenichi, 1993. "Pricing exports: a cross-country study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 3-28, February.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998.
"Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Kosma, Theodora, 2005. "Market power, innovative activity and exchange rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0531, European Central Bank.
- Robert Anderton & Filippo di Mauro & Fabio Moneta, 2004. "Understanding the impact of the external dimension on the euro area - trade, capital flows and other international macroeconomic linkages," Occasional Paper Series 12, European Central Bank.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1995.
"Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: The Case of Swedish Machinery Exports,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 533-46, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Manon, 1994. "Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: the Case of Swedish Machinery Exports," Working Papers 1994.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Jane Ihrig, 2001. "Monetary policy and exchange rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 704, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mick Silver, 2007. "Do Unit Value Export, Import, and Terms of Trade Indices Represent or Misrepresent Price Indices?," IMF Working Papers 07/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Knetter, Michael M., 1994. "Is export price adjustment asymmetric?: evaluating the market share and marketing bottlenecks hypotheses," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1989. "The Effects of Foreign Exchange Movements on U.S. Domestic Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 505-11, August.
- Anderton, Robert, 2003. "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 0219, European Central Bank.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1991. "Asymptotically Efficient Estimation of Cointegration Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 1-21, March.
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph Gagnon & Jaime Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor Reeve & John Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Falk, Rahel & Falk, Martin, 1998.
"Pricing to market of German exporters: evidence from panel data,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Falk & Rahel Falk, 2000. "Pricing to Market of German Exporters: Evidence from Panel Data," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 21-46, March.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Hafedh Bouakez, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Industrialized Countries," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2004(Spring), pages 19-28.
- José Manuel Campa & Jose M. González Mínguez, 2002. "Differences in exchange rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0219, Banco de Espa�a.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1986. "The Interaction of Foreign Exchange and Market Power Effects on German Domestic Prices," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 61-70, September.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & Xu, Peng, 2000. "Exchange rates and market power: evidence from the petrochemical industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 283-297, December.
- Warmedinger, Thomas, 2004. "Import prices and pricing-to-market effects in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0299, European Central Bank.
- Otani, Akira & Shiratsuka, Shigenori & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2003. "The Decline in the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from Japanese Import Prices," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(3), pages 53-81, October.
- Hahn, Elke, 2003. "Pass-through of external shocks to euro area inflation," Working Paper Series 0243, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:3:p:295-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.