Beschäftigung und Arbeitslosigkeit aelterer Arbeitnehmer, Eine mikrooekonometrische Evaluation der Arbeitslosengeldreform von 1997
In 1997, the German government enacted a reform of the unemployment insurance system which lead to a reduction of the maximum entitlement length for unemployment benefits of the older unemployment in the subsequent years. This paper analyses the effects of this reform on the risk of unemployment and on unemployment duration of the older unemployed aged 54-56. This group is of particular interest because it lost a smooth early retirement path via the unemployment benefits scheme. In our empirical analysis we use German administrative indivudiual data drawn form the registers of the federal employment agency and of the public pension funds. After the reform we expect a lower risk of unemployment and shorter unemployment durations for the considered age group. This is confirmed by our empirical analysis. We show that the reform effectively reduced the amount of early retirement at the expense of the unemployment insurance. In particular larger companies and their employees use extended entitlement periods for unemployment benefits for early retirement purposes.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen|
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maarten Lindeboom, 1998. "Microeconometric Analysis of the Retirement Decision: The Netherlands," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 207, OECD Publishing.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Ralf Wilke, 2006.
"Using quantile regression for duration analysis,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 105-120, March.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Biewen, Martin & Wilke, Ralf A., 2005.
"Unemployment Duration and the Length of Entitlement Periods for Unemployment Benefits: Do the IAB Employment Subsample and the German Socio-Economic Panel Yield the Same Results?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Biewen & Ralf Wilke, 2005. "Unemployment duration and the length of entitlement periods for unemployment benefits: do the IAB employment subsample and the German Socio-Economic Panel yield the same results?," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 209-236, June.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "Benefit duration and unemployment entry: A quasi-experiment in Austria," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 259-273, April.
- Arnds, Pascal & Bonin, Holger, 2002. "Frühverrentung in Deutschland: Ökonomische Anreize und institutionelle Strukturen," IZA Discussion Papers 666, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1995.
"The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 88-120, January.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1992. "The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 50, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Tomi Kyyrä & Ralf Wilke, 2004.
"Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland,"
346, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Tomi Kyyrä & Ralf A. Wilke, 2007. "Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(1), pages 154-182, 03.
- Kyyrä, Tomi & Wilke, Ralf A., 2004. "Reduction in the Long-Term Unemployment of the Elderly: A Success Story from Finland," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Abbring, Jaap H., 2002. "Stayers versus defecting movers: a note on the identification of defective duration models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 327-331, February.
- Romain Duval, 2003. "The Retirement Effects of Old-Age Pension and Early Retirement Schemes in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 370, OECD Publishing.
- Steiner, Viktor, 1997. "Extended benefit entitlement periods and the duration of unemployment in West Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Raffaele Miniaci, 1998. "Microeconometric Analysis of the Retirement Decision: Italy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 205, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:1:p:65-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.