The mean, the median, and the St. Petersburg paradox
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Shapley, Lloyd S., 1977. "The St. Petersburg paradox: A con games?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 439-442, April.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Sennetti, John T, 1976. "On Bernoulli, Sharpe, Financial Risk and the St. Petersburg Paradox," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 960-962, June.
- Vivian, Robert William, 2003. "Solving Daniel Bernoulli's St Petersburg Paradox: The Paradox which is not and never was," MPRA Paper 5233, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2003.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279-279.
- Pavlo R. Blavatskyy, 2005. "Back to the St. Petersburg Paradox?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 677-678, April.
- Schoemaker, Paul J H, 1982. "The Expected Utility Model: Its Variants, Purposes, Evidence and Limitations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 529-563, June.
- Schoemaker, Paul J. H. & Hershey, John C., 1996. "Maximizing Your Chance of Winning: The Long and Short of It Revisited," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 194-200, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Smith, Robert Elliott, 2016. "Idealizations of Uncertainty, and Lessons from Artificial Intelligence," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 10, pages 1-40.
- Da Silva, Sergio & Matsushita, Raul, 2016.
"The St. Petersburg paradox: An experimental solution,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 445(C), pages 66-74.
- Da Silva, Sergio & Matsushita, Raul, 2015. "The St. Petersburg paradox: an experimental solution," MPRA Paper 68075, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Smith, Robert Elliott, 2015. "Idealizations of uncertainty, and lessons from artificial intelligence," Economics Discussion Papers 2015-50, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
More about this item
KeywordsSt.~Petersburg paradox; risk; risk aversion; heuristics; median heuristic; expectation heuristic.;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jdm:journl:v:4:y:2009:i:4:p:256-272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.