Biases in casino betting: The hot hand and the gambler's fallacy
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Rachel Croson & James Sundali, 2005. "The Gambler’s Fallacy and the Hot Hand: Empirical Data from Casinos," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 195-209, May.
- Richard H. Thaler & Eric J. Johnson, 1990. "Gambling with the House Money and Trying to Break Even: The Effects of Prior Outcomes on Risky Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(6), pages 643-660, June.
- Baron, Jonathan & Ritov, Ilana, 2004. "Omission bias, individual differences, and normality," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 74-85, July.
- Keren, Gideon & Lewis, Charles, 1994. "The Two Fallacies of Gamblers: Type I and Type II," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 75-89, October.
- Ann-Renée Blais & Elke U. Weber, 2006. "A Domain-Specific Risk-Taking (DOSPERT)Scale for Adult Populations," CIRANO Working Papers 2006s-24, CIRANO.
- Shane Frederick, 2005. "Cognitive Reflection and Decision Making," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 25-42, Fall.
- Samuelson, William & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1988. "Status Quo Bias in Decision Making," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-59, March.
- Ann-RenÃ©e Blais & Elke U. Weber, 2006. "A Domain-Specific Risk-Taking (DOSPERT) scale for adult populations," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 1, pages 33-47, July.
- Weber, Elke U. & Anderson, Carolyn J. & Birnbaum, Michael H., 1992. "A theory of perceived risk and attractiveness," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 492-523, August.
- Ritov, Ilana & Baron, Jonathan, 1992. "Status-Quo and Omission Biases," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 49-61, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Arunachalam Narayanan & Brent B. Moritz, 2015. "Decision Making and Cognition in Multi-Echelon Supply Chains: An Experimental Study," Production and Operations Management, Production and Operations Management Society, vol. 24(8), pages 1216-1234, August.
- Manel Baucells & Cristina Rata, 2006.
"A Survey Study of Factors Influencing Risk-Taking Behavior in Real-World Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
Decision Analysis, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 163-176, September.
- Rata Cristina & Baucells Alibés Manel, 2006. "A Survey Study of Factors Influencing Risk Taking Behavior in Real World Decisions under Uncertainty," Working Papers 201033, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Ronayne, David & Sgroi, Daniel & Tuckwell, Anthony, 2020. "Evaluating the Sunk Cost Effect," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 475, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Hopfensitz, Astrid, 2009. "Previous outcomes and reference dependence: A meta study of repeated investment tasks with and without restricted feedback," MPRA Paper 16096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Debapriya Jojo Paul & Julia Henker & Sian Owen, 2019. "The aggregate impacts of tournament incentives in experimental asset markets," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 22(2), pages 441-476, June.
- Utz Weitzel & Christoph Huber & Florian Lindner & Jürgen Huber & Julia Rose & Michael Kirchler, 2018.
"Bubbles and financial professionals,"
2018-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck, revised Oct 2018.
- Utz Weitzel & Christoph Huber & Jürgen Huber & Michael Kirchler & Florian Lindner & Julia Rose, 2018. "Bubbles and Financial Professionals," Discussion Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2018_09, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, revised Mar 2019.
- Tamás Csermely & Alexander Rabas, 2016. "How to reveal people’s preferences: Comparing time consistency and predictive power of multiple price list risk elicitation methods," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 107-136, December.
- Elizabeth C. Webb & Suzanne B. Shu, 2017. "Is broad bracketing always better? How broad decision framing leads to more optimal preferences over repeated gambles," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 12(4), pages 382-395, July.
- Eyal Ert & Ido Erev, 2010. "On the Descriptive Value of Loss Aversion in Decisions under Risk," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-056, Harvard Business School.
- Martin S. Shapiro & Paul C. Price & Edward Mitchell, 2020. "Carryover of domain-dependent risk preferences in a novel decision-making task," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 15(6), pages 1009-1023, November.
- Rizzolli, Matteo & Tremewan, James, 2018. "Hard labor in the lab: Deterrence, non-monetary sanctions, and severe procedures," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 107-121.
- Drichoutis, Andreas C. & Vassilopoulos, Achilleas, 2016.
"Intertemporal stability of survey-based measures of risk and time preferences over a three-year course,"
73548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Achilleas Vassilopoulos, 2016. "Intertemporal stability of survey-based measures of risk and time preferences over a three-year course," Working Papers 2016-3, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Hopfensitz, Astrid, 2009. "Previous Outcomes and Reference Dependence: A Meta Study of Repeated Investment Tasks with Restricted Feedback," TSE Working Papers 09-087, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Eyal Ert & Ido Erev, 2013. "On the descriptive value of loss aversion in decisions under risk: Six clarifications," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 8(3), pages 214-235, May.
- Robinson, Peter John & Botzen, W. J. Wouter & Kunreuther, Howard & Chaudhry, Shereen J., 2021. "Default options and insurance demand," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 183(C), pages 39-56.
- Eva M. Krockow & Masanori Takezawa & Briony D. Pulford & Andrew M. Colman & Samuel Smithers & Toshimasa Kita & Yo Nakawake, 2018. "Commitment-enhancing tools in Centipede games: Evidencing Europeanâ€“Japanese differences in trust and cooperation," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 13(1), pages 61-72, January.
- Insoo Cho & Peter F. Orazem, 2021.
"How endogenous risk preferences and sample selection affect analysis of firm survival,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 56(4), pages 1309-1332, April.
- Cho, Insoo & Orazem, Peter F., 2020. "How endogenous risk preferences and sample selection affect analysis of firm survival," ISU General Staff Papers 202001040800001791, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Breaban, Adriana & van de Kuilen, Gijs & Noussair, Charles, 2016.
"Prudence, Personality, Cognitive Ability and Emotional State,"
Other publications TiSEM
9a01a5ab-e03d-49eb-9cd7-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Breaban, Adriana & van de Kuilen, Gijs & Noussair, Charles, 2016. "Prudence, Personality, Cognitive Ability and Emotional State," Discussion Paper 2016-030, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bose, Neha & Sgroi, Daniel, 2019. "Theory of Mind and Strategic Decision-Making," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 1191, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Pablo Brañas‐Garza & Matteo M. Galizzi & Jeroen Nieboer, 2018.
"Experimental And Self‐Reported Measures Of Risk Taking And Digit Ratio (2d:4d): Evidence From A Large, Systematic Study,"
International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1131-1157, August.
- Pablo Brañas-Garza & Matteo M. Galizzi & Jeroen Nieboer, 2014. "Digit ratio and risk taking: Evidence from a large, multi-ethnic sample," Working Papers 14-23, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Brañas-Garza, Pablo & Galizzi, Matteo M. & Nieboer, Jeroen, 2018. "Experimental and self-reported measures of risk taking and digit ratio (2D:4D): evidence from a large, systematic study," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 80747, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
More about this item
Keywordsjudgment and decision making; hot hand; gambler's fallacy; casino betting; field data; roulette;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jdm:journl:v:1:y:2006:i::p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Jonathan Baron (email available below). General contact details of provider: .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.