The Cost Effects of Component Commonality: A Literature Review Through a Management-Accounting Lens
In this paper I review the component commonality literature through a management-accounting lens, focusing on the cost effects of an increase in the use of the same version of a component across multiple products. The bulk of this literature is of a theoretical nature, for example, analytical models, programming models, or conjectures based on casual observations of practice. Some of this literature purports, especially in introductions to the topic, that cost generally decreases with increasing commonality. However, based on a review of the theoretical literature using an activity-based costing framework and distinguishing between cost-driver and cost-rate effects, I conclude that the cost picture is more subtle. In other words, it is too early to make any general statement about the effect of increasing commonality on total costs. Moving to the limited empirical literature on the topic, consisting of case studies (sometimes combined with simulation) and empirical research on larger data sets, the conclusion that there is even more room for future research becomes evident.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degraeve, Zeger & Labro, Eva & Roodhooft, Filip, 2000. "An evaluation of vendor selection models from a total cost of ownership perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 34-58, August.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Yigal Gerchak & Michael J. Magazine & A. Bruce Gamble, 1988. "Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 753-760, June.
- Marshall Fisher & Kamalini Ramdas & Karl Ulrich, 1999. "Component Sharing in the Management of Product Variety: A Study of Automotive Braking Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(3), pages 297-315, March.
- Jayashankar M. Swaminathan & Sridhar R. Tayur, 1998. "Managing Broader Product Lines through Delayed Differentiation Using Vanilla Boxes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S161-S172, December.
- Karl Ulrich & David Sartorius & Scott Pearson & Mark Jakiela, 1993. "Including the Value of Time in Design-for-Manufacturing Decision Making," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 429-447, April.
- Sharon Novak & Steven D. Eppinger, 2001. "Sourcing By Design: Product Complexity and the Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 189-204, January.
- V. Krishnan & Karl T. Ulrich, 2001. "Product Development Decisions: A Review of the Literature," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Perera, H. S. C. & Nagarur, Nagen & Tabucanon, Mario T., 1999. "Component part standardization: A way to reduce the life-cycle costs of products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 109-116, April.
- Maimon, Oded Z. & Dar-El, Ezey M. & Carmon, Tali F., 1993. "Set-up saving schemes for printed circuit boards assembly," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 177-190, October.
- Kamalini Ramdas & Mohanbir S. Sawhney, 2001. "A Cross-Functional Approach to Evaluating Multiple Line Extensions for Assembled Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 22-36, January.
- Ho, C. -J. & Li, J., 1997. "Progressive engineering changes in multi-level product structures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 585-594, October.
- Noreen, Eric & Noreen, Eric & Soderstrom, Naomi, 1994. "Are overhead costs strictly proportional to activity? : Evidence from hospital departments," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 255-278, January.
- Kim, Kilsun & Chhajed, Dilip, 2000. "Commonality in product design: Cost saving, valuation change and cannibalization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 602-621, September.
- V. Krishnan & Saurabh Gupta, 2001. "Appropriateness and Impact of Platform-Based Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 52-68, January.
- Kenneth R. Baker & Michael J. Magazine & Henry L. W. Nuttle, 1986. "The Effect of Commonality on Safety Stock in a Simple Inventory Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 982-988, August.
- Karl T. Ulrich & David J. Ellison, 1999. "Holistic Customer Requirements and the Design-Select Decision," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 641-658, May.
- Hillier, Mark S., 2002. "Using commonality as backup safety stock," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 353-365, January.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Paul E. Green & Abba M. Krieger, 1985. "Models and Heuristics for Product Line Selection," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 1-19.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Potter, Gordon & Schroeder, Roger G., 1995. "An empirical analysis of manufacturing overhead cost drivers," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 115-137, February.
- David A. Collier, 1982. "Aggregate Safety Stock Levels and Component Part Commonality," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1296-1303, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:6:y:2004:i:4:p:358-367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.