Procurement Mechanism Design in a Two-Echelon Inventory System with Price-Sensitive Demand
This paper studies a buyer's procurement strategies in a two-stage supply chain with price-sensitive demand. The buyer procures a product from a supplier and then sells to the marketplace. Market demand is stochastic and depends on the buyer's selling price. The supplier's production cost is private information, and the buyer only knows the distribution of the cost. Both the buyer and the supplier can hold inventories to improve service, and a periodic-review inventory system is considered. The buyer takes two attributes into consideration when designing the procurement mechanism: quantity attribute (i.e., the total purchase quantity) and service-level attribute (i.e., the supplier's delivery performance). We first identify the optimal procurement mechanism for the buyer, which consists of a nonlinear menu of contracts for each of the two attributes. It can be shown that the optimal mechanism induces both a lower market demand and a lower service level compared to the supply chain optimum. In view of the complexity of the optimal mechanism, we proceed to search for simpler mechanisms that perform well for the buyer. We find that the above two attributes have different implications for procurement mechanism design: The value of using complex contract terms is generally negligible for the service-level attribute, whereas it can be highly valuable for the quantity attribute. In particular, we demonstrate that a fixed service-level contract, which consists of a target service level and a price-quantity menu, yields nearly optimal profit for the buyer. Additionally, the price-quantity menu is essentially a quantity discount scheme widely observed in practice.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sven Axsäter & Kaj Rosling, 1993. "Notes: Installation vs. Echelon Stock Policies for Multilevel Inventory Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1274-1280, October.
- Leon Yang Chu & David E. M. Sappington, 2007. "Simple Cost-Sharing Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 419-428, March.
- Klemperer, P., 1999.
"Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature,"
1999-w12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Paul R. Milgrom, 1985.
"Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
742, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1987. "Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 303-328, March.
- Ki-Seok Choi & J. G. Dai & Jing-Sheng Song, 2004. "On Measuring Supplier Performance Under Vendor-Managed-Inventory Programs in Capacitated Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 53-72, April.
- Charles Z. Zheng, 2000.
"Optimal Auction in a Multidimensional World,"
1282, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Charles Zheng, 2000. "Optimal Auction in a Multidimensional World," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0296, Econometric Society.
- Cripps, Martin & Ireland, Norman, 1994. "The Design of Auctions and Tenders with Quality Thresholds: The Symmetric Case," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 316-326, March.
- Tunay I. Tunca & Qiong Wu, 2009. "Multiple Sourcing and Procurement Process Selection with Bidding Events," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(5), pages 763-780, May.
- Fernando Branco, 1997. "The Design of Multidimensional Auctions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(1), pages 63-81, Spring.
- Hau L. Lee & Meir J. Rosenblatt, 1986. "A Generalized Quantity Discount Pricing Model to Increase Supplier's Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1177-1185, September.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 1960.
"Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem,"
INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 475-490, July.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 2004. "Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1782-1790, December.
- Bagnoli, M. & Bergstrom, T., 1989.
"Log-Concave Probability And Its Applications,"
89-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Charles J. Corbett & Xavier de Groote, 2000. "A Supplier's Optimal Quantity Discount Policy Under Asymmetric Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 444-450, March.
- Jean-Jaques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1985.
"Auctioning Incentive Contracts,"
403, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sugato Bhattacharyya & Francine Lafontaine, 1995. "Double-Sided Moral Hazard and the Nature of Share Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 761-781, Winter.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- William P. Rogerson, 2003. "Simple Menus of Contracts in Cost-Based Procurement and Regulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 919-926, June.
- Che, Y.K., 1991.
"Design Competition through Multidimensional Auctions,"
9123, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Yeon-Koo Che, 1993. "Design Competition through Multidimensional Auctions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 668-680, Winter.
- Saibal Ray & Shanling Li & Yuyue Song, 2005. "Tailored Supply Chain Decision Making Under Price-Sensitive Stochastic Demand and Delivery Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(12), pages 1873-1891, December.
- Bower, Anthony G, 1993. "Procurement Policy and Contracting Efficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(4), pages 873-901, November.
- Charles J. Corbett & Deming Zhou & Christopher S. Tang, 2004. "Designing Supply Contracts: Contract Type and Information Asymmetry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 550-559, April.
- Elena Katok & Douglas Thomas & Andrew Davis, 2008. "Inventory Service-Level Agreements as Coordination Mechanisms: The Effect of Review Periods," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 609-624, June.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:1999-w12 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:12:y:2010:i:4:p:608-626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.