ERP Competence-Building Mechanisms: An Exploratory Investigation of Configurations of ERP Adopters in the European and U.S. Manufacturing Sectors
This paper contributes to the literature on enterprise resource planning (ERP) by pursuing two objectives. First, it identifies configurations of ERP adopters that have similar needs and develop similar competencies. Second, it tests the hypothesis that, to maximize benefits from their ERP projects, organizations should align their ERP competence-building mechanisms with the ERP needs that arise from their operational environment. The analysis of a sample of manufacturing companies that implemented ERP between 1995 and 2001 uncovers four distinct configurations representing different degrees of fit between needs and competence-building mechanisms: the frugal ERP, the extensive business process reengineering (BPR), the adaptive ERP, and the straitjacket. The results support our hypothesis and suggest that the consequences of a misfit between needs and competence-building mechanisms are more severe for companies that operate in complex and dynamic environments and have informal organizational structures than for firms with rigid structures that operate in simple and stable environments.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Robey & Dana Farrow, 1982. "User Involvement in Information System Development: A Conflict Model and Empirical Test," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 73-85, January.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E.W.T. & McGaughey, R.E., 2006. "Information technology and systems justification: A review for research and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(3), pages 957-983, September.
- Richard L. Daft & Robert H. Lengel, 1986. "Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness and Structural Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 554-571, May.
- Michael A. Lapré & Amit Shankar Mukherjee & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2000. "Behind the Learning Curve: Linking Learning Activities to Waste Reduction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 597-611, May.
- Mabert, Vincent A. & Soni, Ashok & Venkataramanan, M. A., 2003. "Enterprise resource planning: Managing the implementation process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 302-314, April.
- Leonard-Barton, Dorothy, 1988. "Implementation as mutual adaptation of technology and organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 251-267, October.
- Daina Dennis & Jack Meredith, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of Process Industry Transformation Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1085-1099, August.
- Aleda V. Roth & William E. Jackson, III, 1995. "Strategic Determinants of Service Quality and Performance: Evidence from the Banking Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(11), pages 1720-1733, November.
- Haim Mendelson, 2000. "Organizational Architecture and Success in the Information Technology Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 513-529, April.
- Kannan Srinivasan & Sundar Kekre & Tridas Mukhopadhyay, 1994. "Impact of Electronic Data Interchange Technology on JIT Shipments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1291-1304, October.
- M. Bensaou & N. Venkatraman, 1995. "Configurations of Interorganizational Relationships: A Comparison Between U.S. and Japanese Automakers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1471-1492, September.
- Larry J. Menor & Aleda V. Roth & Charlotte H. Mason, 2001. "Agility in Retail Banking: A Numerical Taxonomy of Strategic Service Groups," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 273-292, February.
- Umble, Elisabeth J. & Haft, Ronald R. & Umble, M. Michael, 2003. "Enterprise resource planning: Implementation procedures and critical success factors," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 241-257, April.
- Tridas Mukhopadhyay & Sunder Kekre, 2002. "Strategic and Operational Benefits of Electronic Integration in B2B Procurement Processes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(10), pages 1301-1313, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:11:y:2009:i:2:p:274-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.