Analyzing The Relationship Between Eonia And Eoniaswap Rates. A Cointegration Approach
The aim of this paper is to analyze the behavior of Eoniaswap rates at different maturities during the 2007-2013 period. This index is representative for the Eurozone interbank swap market and its evolution is significantly influenced by the monetary policy of the European Central Bank. In order to asses this influence, we apply stationarity tests, cointegration tests and a variance decomposition analysis for the interbank swap rates. The results show that Eoniaswap rates exhibit structural breaks,long-term memory and a persistent behavior. The variance of Eoniaswap rates at a certain maturity is influenced by shocks to other maturities of Eoniaswap rates, but shocks coming from Eonia interbank rate are rapidly absorbed. Johansen cointegration test confirms the existence of long-run equilibrium relationship between Eonia and Eoniaswap rates.
Volume (Year): 38 (2014(XXIV))
Issue (Month): 1(47) (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 318.24.67
Fax: 004 021 318.24.67
Web page: http://www.ien.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotomin, Vladimir & Smith, Stanley D. & Winters, Drew B., 2008. "Preferred habitat for liquidity in international short-term interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 240-250, February.
- Hernandis, Lucía & Torró, Hipòlit, 2013. "The information content of Eonia swap rates before and during the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5316-5328.
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001.
"The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone,"
135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003. "The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abrantes-Metz, Rosa M. & Kraten, Michael & Metz, Albert D. & Seow, Gim S., 2012. "Libor manipulation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 136-150.
- Chaudhry, Mukesh K. & Christie-David, Rohan & Koch, Timothy W. & Reichert, Alan K., 2000. "The risk of foreign currency contingent claims at US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1399-1417, September.
- De Socio, Antonio, 2013.
"The interbank market after the financial turmoil: Squeezing liquidity in a “lemons market” or asking liquidity “on tap”,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1340-1358.
- Antonio De Socio, 2011. "The interbank market after the financial turmoil: squeezing liquidity in a "lemons market" or asking liquidity "on tap"," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 819, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jongmoo Choi & Elyas Elyasiani, 1997. "Derivative Exposure and the Interest Rate and Exchange Rate Risks of U.S. Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 267-286, October.
- U. Hassler & D. Nautz, 1995. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates as an Indicator of German Monetary Policy?," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,64, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
- In, Francis & Cui, Jin & Maharaj, Elizabeth Ann, 2012. "The impact of a new term auction facility on Libor–OIS spreads and volatility transmission between money and mortgage markets during the subprime crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1106-1125.
- Beirne, John, 2012. "The EONIA spread before and during the crisis of 2007–2009: The role of liquidity and credit risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 534-551.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ine:journl:v:1:y:2014:i:47:p:197-207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentina Vasile)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.