A state-dependent model of hybrid behavior with rational consumers in the attribute space
This paper presents a dynamic choice model in the attribute space considering rational consumers. The model presents a stationary consumption pattern that can be inertial, where the consumer only buys one product, or a varietyseeking one, where the consumer shifts among varied products. Under the hybrid utility assumption, the consumer behaves inertially among the unfamiliar brands for several periods, eventually switching to a varietyseeking behavior when the stationary levels are approached. An empirical illustration with myopic agents is run using scanner databases for three different product categories: fabric softener, saltine cracker, and catsup. Nonlinear specifications provide the best fit of the data, as hybrid functional forms are found in all the products. The resullts confirm the gradual trend to seek variety as the level of familiarity with the purchased items increases.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moshe Givon, 1984. "Variety Seeking Through Brand Switching," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22.
- Abel P. Jeuland, 1979. "Brand Choice Inertia as One Aspect of the Notion of Brand Loyalty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(7), pages 671-682, July.
- Bruce G. S. Hardie & Eric J. Johnson & Peter S. Fader, 1993. "Modeling Loss Aversion and Reference Dependence Effects on Brand Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 378-394.
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Richard Thaler, 1985.
"Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice,"
INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 199-214.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Dipak Jain, 1992. "A Dynamic Model of Channel Member Strategies for Marketing Expenditures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(2), pages 168-188.
- Claes Fornell & William T. Robinson & Birger Wernerfelt, 1985. "Consumption Experience and Sales Promotion Expenditure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(9), pages 1084-1105, September.
- Jaehwan Kim & Greg M. Allenby & Peter E. Rossi, 2002. "Modeling Consumer Demand for Variety," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 229-250, December.
- Green, Paul E & Srinivasan, V, 1978. " Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 103-23, Se.
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 1983. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 203-238.
- Rishin Roy & Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Sudeep Haldar, 1996. "A Framework for Investigating Habits, “The Hand of the Past,” and Heterogeneity in Dynamic Brand Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(3), pages 280-299.
- Jain, Dipak C & Vilcassim, Naufel J & Chintagunta, Pradeep K, 1994. "A Random-Coefficients Logit Brand-Choice Model Applied to Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 317-28, July.
- Keane, Michael P, 1997. "Modeling Heterogeneity and State Dependence in Consumer Choice Behavior," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 310-27, July.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-1061.
- Kapil Bawa, 1990. "Modeling Inertia and Variety Seeking Tendencies in Brand Choice Behavior," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 263-278.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1993. "Investigating the Sensitivity of Equilibrium Profits to Advertising Dynamics and Competitive Effects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1146-1162, September.
- Joseph Farrell, 1985.
"Moral Hazard as an Entry Barrier,"
387, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- James M. Lattin, 1987. "A Model of Balanced Choice Behavior," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 48-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:33:y:2009:i:3:p:347-383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.