Analyzing Core Inflation in India: A Structural VAR Approach
Effective inflation targeting requires careful selection of inflation target. It is necessary to leave out noisy elements, which the monetary policy cannot control. However, this exclusion should not be done in an ad hoc basis. Rather, core inflation should be determined from the structure of the economy. This paper estimates core inflation for India, using Structural Vector Autoregression (SVAR) method. This method is based on both theory and the structure of the economy. Monthly data for Wholesale Price Index (WPI) and Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has been used, covering a long time span from January 1971 to July 2004. We analyze the impulse responses of inflation and output, test for several time series properties of core inflation and carry out a number of Granger causality tests between headline inflation, core inflation, output and a monetary aggregate.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): III (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-673, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nessen, Marianne & Soderstrom, Ulf, 2001. "Core Inflation and Monetary Policy," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 401-439, Winter.
- Nessén, Marianne & Söderström, Ulf, 2000. "Core Inflation and Monetary Policy," Working Paper Series 110, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- M. Nessen & U. Söderström, 2001. "Core Inflation and Monetary Policy," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 67, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Misinterpreting the dynamic effects of aggregate demand and supply disturbances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 247-250, September.
- Hilde Christiane Bjørnland, 2001. "Identifying domestic and imported core inflation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(14), pages 1819-1831.
- Freeman, Donald G., 1998. "Do core inflation measures help forecast inflation?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 143-147, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)