Analyzing Core Inflation in India: A Structural VAR Approach
Effective inflation targeting requires careful selection of inflation target. It is necessary to leave out noisy elements, which the monetary policy cannot control. However, this exclusion should not be done in an ad hoc basis. Rather, core inflation should be determined from the structure of the economy. This paper estimates core inflation for India, using Structural Vector Autoregression (SVAR) method. This method is based on both theory and the structure of the economy. Monthly data for Wholesale Price Index (WPI) and Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has been used, covering a long time span from January 1971 to July 2004. We analyze the impulse responses of inflation and output, test for several time series properties of core inflation and carry out a number of Granger causality tests between headline inflation, core inflation, output and a monetary aggregate.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): III (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Pages: 76- 90
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nessén, Marianne & Söderström, Ulf, 2000.
"Core Inflation and Monetary Policy,"
Working Paper Series
110, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
NBER Working Papers
2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Freeman, Donald G., 1998. "Do core inflation measures help forecast inflation?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 143-147, February.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Misinterpreting the dynamic effects of aggregate demand and supply disturbances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 247-250, September.
- Hilde Christiane Bjørnland, 2001. "Identifying domestic and imported core inflation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(14), pages 1819-1831.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icf:icfjmo:v:03:y:2005:i:2:p:76-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.