Germany - no country for old workers?
"The employment situation of older workers in Germany used to be poor. However, in recent years it has improved considerably. Germany has shifted its policies to strengthen the labor market performance of older workers. Policy has focused on less early exits of older workers and far-reaching institutional changes concerning public pension schemes and unemployment benefit systems. A better overall development of the labor market and an increased labor force participation of women contributed to the more favorable employment situation of older workers. Nevertheless, we still observe severe problems for certain groups of older workers. The older workers are and the lower their skill level is the weaker is their labor market integration. If older persons are already unemployed they will experience severe difficulties to (re-)enter the labor market. In order to become actually a country for old workers the issue of employability needs much more attention. Such a strategy relies on continuous skill improvement as well as a healthy environment and does not only address older workers but also younger workers facing a prolonged working life." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en)) Additional Information Erratum to: Germany - no country for old workers?
Volume (Year): 44 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/labor/journal/12651?detailsPage=subscription|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dlugosz, Stephan & Stephan, Gesine & Wilke, Ralf A., 2009.
"Fixing the leak: unemployment incidence before and after the 2006 reform of unemployment benefits in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
09-079, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stephan Dlugosz & Gesine Stephan & Ralf A. Wilke, . "Fixing the leak: Unemployment incidence before and after the 2006 reform of unemployment benefits in Germany," Discussion Papers 09/10, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Dlugosz, Stephan & Stephan, Gesine & Wilke, Ralf A., 2009. "Fixing the leak: Unemployment incidence before and after the 2006 reform of unemployment benefits in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 200925, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Gruber & David Wise, 2005. "Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Fiscal Implications, Introduction and Summary," NBER Working Papers 11290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabzaf:v:2011:i:4:p:363-376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.