Separating wheat and chaff: age-specific staffing strategies and innovative performance at the firm level
"Adopting a dynamic perspective, this paper investigates age-related staffing patterns in German establishments and their effect on innovative performance. First, we investigate how establishments achieve the necessary workforce rejuvenation - from the inflow of younger or from outflows of older workers. In addition, we explore whether certain staffing patterns are more likely to appear under different economic regimes. In a second step, we analyze whether an establishment's innovative performance is related to the staffing patterns it experiences. The analysis of linked-employer-employee data shows that most of the 585 German establishments covered rejuvenate by inflows of younger workers. Half of the establishments also use the outflow of older workers. Furthermore, workforces are more likely to become more age-heterogeneous in growing establishments. Finally, we do not find evidence that a youth-centered human resource strategy (always) fosters innovation." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Volume (Year): 44 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/labor/journal/12651?detailsPage=subscription|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003.
"The Skill Content Of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333, November.
- David Autor & Frank Levy & Richard Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001. "The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Criscuolo, Chiara & Haskel, Jonathan E. & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2010.
"Global engagement and the innovation activities of firms,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 191-202, March.
- Chiara Criscuolo & Jonathan E. Haskel & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Global Engagement and the Innovation Activities of Firms," NBER Working Papers 11479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:eme:rlepps:v:18:y:1999:i:1999:p:303-330 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 2000.
"Job Flows, Worker Flows, and Churning,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 473-502, July.
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 2000.
" The Reallocation of Labour and the Lifecycle of Firms,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 885-907, Special I.
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 1997. "The Reallocation of Labour and the Lifecycle of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 1713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"The Research Potential of New Types of Enterprise Data based on Surveys from Official Statistics in Germany,"
Working Paper Series of the German Council for Social and Economic Data
121, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Joachim Wagner, 2010. "The Research Potential of New Types of Enterprise Data based on Surveys from Official Statistics in Germany," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(1), pages 133-142.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "The Research Potential of New Types of Enterprise Data Based on Surveys from Official Statistics in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 4364, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2009. "The Research Potential of New Types of Enterprise Data based on Surveys from Official Statistics in Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics 135, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 2003.
"The costs of hiring and separations,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 499-530, October.
- Francesco Daveri & Mika Maliranta, 2007. "Age, seniority and labour costs: lessons from the Finnish IT revolution," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 117-175, 01.
- Huergo, Elena & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 2004. "Firms' age, process innovation and productivity growth," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 541-559, April.
- Mika Maliranta & Pierre Mohnen & Petri Rouvinen, 2009.
"Is inter-firm labor mobility a channel of knowledge spillovers? Evidence from a linked employer--employee panel,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 1161-1191, December.
- Maliranta, Mika & Mohnen, Pierre & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008. "Is Inter-Firm Labor Mobility a Channel of Knowledge spillovers? Evidence from a Linked Employer-Employee Panel," MERIT Working Papers 005, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Maliranta, Mika & Mohnen, Pierre & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008. "Is Inter-firm Labor Mobility a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from a Linked Employer-Employee Panel," Discussion Papers 1116, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Daniel, Kirsten & Heywood, John S., 2007. "The determinants of hiring older workers: UK evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-51, January.
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2009. "Age and productivity: evidence from linked employer employee data," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-020, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jenny Meyer, 2010.
"Does Social Software Support Service Innovation?,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 289-311.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Maliranta, Mika, 2007. "Aging, Labor Turnover and Firm Performance," Discussion Papers 1092, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- McGahan, Anita M. & Silverman, Brian S., 2001. "How does innovative activity change as industries mature?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1141-1160, July.
- Hélène Zajdela & Patrick Sevestre & Pierre Cahuc, 1990. "Négociations salariales et segmentation du marché du travail," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 43-50.
- Rita Asplund, 2005. "The Provision and Effects of Company Training: A Brief Review of the Literature," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 31, pages 47-73.
- Jérôme Vandenbussche & Philippe Aghion & Costas Meghir, 2006. "Growth, distance to frontier and composition of human capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 97-127, June.
- Vandenbussche, JÃ©rÃ´me & Aghion, Philippe & Meghir, Costas, 2006.
"Growth, distance to frontier and composition of human capital,"
12490648, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jérôme Vandenbussche & Philippe Aghion & Costas Meghir, 2004. "Growth, distance to frontier and composition of human capital," IFS Working Papers W04/31, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Aghion, Philippe & Meghir, Costas & Vandenbussche, Jérôme, 2005. "Growth, Distance to Frontier and Composition of Human Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 4860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexia Prskawetz & Thomas Fent, 2007. "Workforce Ageing And The Substitution Of Labour: The Role Of Supply And Demand Of Labour In Austria," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- Malmberg, Bo & Lindh, Thomas & Halvarsson, Max, 2005. "Productivity consequences of workforce ageing - Stagnation or a Horndal effect?," Arbetsrapport 2005:17, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Ross Guest, 2007. "Can OECD Countries Afford Demographic Change?," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(2), pages 149-164, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabzaf:v:2011:i:4:p:321-338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.